The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

16 posts Page 1 of 2
Shirataki Noodles
30 Mar 2013, 00:21
In my research of recipes I've been seeing these noodles popping up and thought they'd be great to try on a fast day but can't seem to find them. Are they available only in specialty stores? Where are they shelved in the store....are they refrigerated or shelved dry?

If there are any Canadians out there I'd love to hear where you've bought them?

Thx
Bree
Re: Shirataki Noodles
30 Mar 2013, 00:45
I just ordered six packs of them online!
https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages ... ta&rdcnt=1
30 Mar 2013, 01:12
I tried the 'Miracle Noodles' recently. The smell was so bad when i opened the packet, I couldn't eat anything for hours. I'm still haunted by it actually... occasionally my brain makes me think about it for whatever reason. It was like something died a horrible death in my kitchen.

Going to stick to 'real food' for now on.
30 Mar 2013, 01:30
I really love these noodles. Yes, they smell like fish. If you hate the smell of fish, you'll hate this too. But the smell is easy to get rid of. I drain and rinse my noodles. Then I cover them with a lot of water in a pot and boil for 2 minutes. Then I drain and dump back into the pot. One thing I learned on the internet is to "dry fry" them to get rid of all the moisture that the noodles release. Then they are ready for sauce. Aside from really liking them, I'd rather eat these than regular noodles, even on feed days, for the calorie savings alone.
30 Mar 2013, 01:31
m.m.leach wrote: The smell was so bad when i opened the packet, I couldn't eat anything for hours. I'm still haunted by it actually... occasionally my brain makes me think about it for whatever reason. It was like something died a horrible death in my kitchen.

:shock: eeeek.....I was considering ordering it but will try to find somewhere that sells it and only buy one before investing too much into it. I eat and like tofu so I'm optimistic but I have to like it otherwise its a waste of calories IMO
30 Mar 2013, 01:32
Hi, I live in the U.S. and Tofu Shirataki Noodles are now quite popular and becoming more readily available in grocery stores. They are in the refrigerated section of slightly more "health" oriented grocery stores, usually next to the fresh tofu and other similar products. Don't know if you have "Wholefoods" markets in Canada - they stock them. They are not very expensive either, unlike the "Miracle Noodles" sold mostly online for outrageous prices. The whole bag has 40 calories and you probably only need to use one-half bag or less at one time. They need to be thoroughly washed, drained and dried before use (as coffeehead said).

There are lots of other tips for enjoying them when cooked. Hope you manage to find them.
30 Mar 2013, 02:04
I don't know if any of you have read the Hungry Girl cookbooks - or website - but she swears by these noodles. I have tried some of her recipes with mixed results, some good, some bad. Haven't tried the noodles yet but I have some and plan to try them (with her recipes, like Alfredo).
30 Mar 2013, 02:04
Asian Grocers usually stock them - sometimes they are called Konjac Noodles as they are made from some type of yam called Konjac. The smell is not always bad - depends on the brand, you just rinse them quickly and they smell disappears. They are packed in water and are just on the shelves.
They are different! Not like a noodle per se. They are white (usually) and have a fine thickness, slippery, like glass noodles.
They are bland and good to bulk up soup or in Asian style salads BUT not like Pasta, if you expect them to be like pasta you might be disappointed.
I love them, they arevery filling for about 5-10 calories, you can't go wrong.
Certainly worth a try.
30 Mar 2013, 02:20
Marie2mil wrote: Asian Grocers usually stock them - sometimes they are called Konjac Noodles as they are made from some type of yam called Konjac.

Are they yam?.......for some reason I thought they were tofu
30 Mar 2013, 02:34
Hi Bree,
I've just cut & pasted this from Wiki
Definitely NOT Tofu - but some OP's have found the noodles made with Tofu and Konjac - maybe that's the confusion
"It is a perennial plant, growing from a large corm up to 25 cm in diameter. The single leaf is up to 1.3 m across, bipinnate, and divided into numerous leaflets. The flowers are produced on a spathe enclosed by a dark purple spadix up to 55 cm long.
The food made from the root of this plant is widely known in English by its Japanese name, konnyaku (yam cake).
konjac is often colloquially referred to as a yam, although it bears no marked relation to tubers of the family"
Hope that helps.
30 Mar 2013, 13:50
Thanks Marie....very intersting! I never heard of them before joining this forum! We have a good sized Asian market here so will go by there to look for them.

Also thanks everyone for the warning regarding the smell, texture etc. It's good to know they smell but also great to know it goes away once you rinse them
30 Mar 2013, 15:20
I'm planning to do this:
Hold my breath
Open packet
Rinse
Breath
Not bad for -almost- zero calories!!!
30 Mar 2013, 22:40
I order mine from Netrition.com and also Amazon. I think Netrition ships to Canada for a reasonable price. The only ones I can find in the stores are the Tofu kind, which I actually like the texture better but are higher calories.
30 Mar 2013, 23:25
Hi Bree, I live in Canada (Ontario) and found them in my local Asian Grocery store. They are in the refrigerated area with other noodles, in a plastic bag with liquid, and are called Shirataki Noodles. They were pretty cheap ($2.50 ish) and made 2 - 3 servings. The smell wasn't "horrible" but def rinse them first! Good Luck.
31 Mar 2013, 06:59
Thanks everyone. I'm going to check ourbTNT Asian market across town next week. I think they'll have them but if not I'll order them online. I'll probably buy a few when I find them but wondering if they freeze well?

I'm excited to try them. .....makes my fast day so much more intriguing
16 posts Page 1 of 2