The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hazelnut milk - who knew!
17 Apr 2013, 13:32
There was an article in a health magazine I found whilst sorting through my hoard (magazine addict) and it was about alternatives to milk.
After reading it, and seeing that Asda had an offer on Alpro hazelnut milk, I decided to give it a try. YUM! I have it on bran flakes and also in coffee, it's lovely, low cal and high in vitamins!

No, I don't work for Alpro... Just wanted to share the wealth! :grin:
Re: Hazelnut milk - who knew!
17 Apr 2013, 13:40
Thanks Sophie :) What's the calorie count like?
17 Apr 2013, 13:45
29kcals per 100ml!
17 Apr 2013, 14:15
That's not considerably different to cow's milk 37 for whole & 22 for skimmed.
17 Apr 2013, 14:38
I drink the unsweetened Almond milk - thats on 27cals per 100ml too, not great in your coffee, as it can split, but like you say, great on the breakfast cereal!!!
17 Apr 2013, 14:45
claireglen wrote: That's not considerably different to cow's milk 37 for whole & 22 for skimmed.

Sorry my dear, don't mean to sound rude but are you sure that's right? I thought semi-skimmed (according to my bottle of it in the fridge) had 50 cals per 100ml, so would be surprised if whole milk had 37!
17 Apr 2013, 14:56
In the US we have almond milk that has 30 cals per a cup, that is 240 cc. It tastes great and doesn't split. I drink it all the time and use it for recipes instead of regular milk. You can get it in regular supermarkets now. I usually buy the one by Blue Diamond- the original unsweetened version.
17 Apr 2013, 15:05
Myfitnesspal gives the calories per 100 ml as: whole 65, semi skim 50, skimmed 35, so the almond and hazelnut milks are slightly better than skimmed, and much better than whole or semi in terms of calories. I guess the deficit counts more when you're using a lot, eg on a cereal, whereas you only use a splash in tea or coffee, so the calorie difference is very small!
17 Apr 2013, 15:24
Tesco make their own range of nut milks alongside Alpro, we have tried most of then and I like them all on cereal (which I seldom have now) but hate in tea. There is also Koko/Kara coconut 'milk' which might be even better (better fats) and I like the taste drunk alone or in cereal. These milks usually use grape juice or similar to add sweetness. Soya milk can come unsweetened but the soya content is much reduced in this version - and I have moved away from soya. In fact, I use full-fat cow milk in my tea now even though I would not drink a glass of it...
17 Apr 2013, 20:59
Moogie wrote:
claireglen wrote: That's not considerably different to cow's milk 37 for whole & 22 for skimmed.

Sorry my dear, don't mean to sound rude but are you sure that's right? I thought semi-skimmed (according to my bottle of it in the fridge) had 50 cals per 100ml, so would be surprised if whole milk had 37!

Bother! Misread the book p199 has Cappuchino in front of them. :oops: Book says Almond milk 24; whole milk 64; semi skimmed 50.
17 Apr 2013, 22:43
I've moved away from soy completely to Hemp milk (unsweetened)...so nutritious with lots of natural Omega 3s and 6s--important for those of us who are vegans. Once in a while, I'll have almond too which is delicious of course.
28 Apr 2013, 10:49
Thank you all for this - I've never tried them, but think I will now!
12 posts Page 1 of 1