The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I make batch loads of home-made chicken and veggie soup for my fast days and then freeze them up in portions.
I had read on a number of sites that there would be between 180 and 200 calories in a bowl of that type of soup, so my fast day has been:
1 light latte for breakfast at 50 calories
1 bowl soup lunch at 200 calories
1 satsuma afternoon at 30 calories
1 bowl soup evening at 200 calories.

This time I made up a batch of soup I used myfitnesspal to work out the actual calories in all the veggies and the total amount of cooked chicken, and then divided by the 22 portions I'd made.
It seems there is only 135 calories in each bowl.

So I've been 130 calories light each fast day... thats another whole bowl of soup or something sweet and yummy!
Can't believe I've been down by almost a third. So its well worth weighing and measuring your ingredients accurately for your fast day...
I'm looking forward to my Milky Way on my next fast day!!
I make bone broths and stocks, which I use in soups, stews, curries. I haven't been game to try and work out what their calorie count is, so I've just avoided them on fast days. They must have a fairly high fat content, looking at the layer of fat that sits on top when they're in the fridge, and I don't really know how I would work out all the bits that I throw in. I freeze bones until I have enough for my stock pot, so it's mostly a mix of animals and cuts, and I have little idea what some of them are.

But it's soup season coming up, so maybe I'll have to try and work it out.
I haven't counted the calories in homemade soup since my first week doing 5:2, perhaps I should? I usually make a huge pot of vegetable soup using assorted veggies, about a teaspoon of olive oil, half a can of cannelloni beans (100g) and some wholemeal pasta (about 100g), plus herbs and spices. I usually have a couple of bowls but still have more than half of the pot of soup left for another day. I don't think the amount I eat would be more than a couple of hundred calories, added to my breakfast of 200 calories that's still about 100 short of the 500 allowed in case of miscalculations.
3 posts Page 1 of 1