The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Re: low carb recipe books?
26 Apr 2013, 22:43
Hi Izzy,

I've spent a fortune on recipe books lately and most of them are now gathering dust in the bookcase, as so many are just too fancy for every day or have ingredients that I know my local supermarkets wouldn't stock.

I've ordered a copy of the Fast Diet cookbook, which should arrive next week, but today I got my copy of the 2 Day Diet Cookbook, (from the Genesis breast cancer research people) and it looks really good. Lots of low carb and vegetarian recipes for what they call the restricted days, but they all look simple, yet appetising, which they need to be for someone like me, who's not great at cooking.

It also has normal carb recipes for the other 5 days, but some nice ideas here too.

Unfortunately, you can't 'look inside' this one on Amazon, but let me know if you'd like me to list some of the recipes.

Evie
30 Apr 2013, 16:02
Hi Evie,

I would be interested in seeing some of the recipes on that 2 day diet cookbook, like everyone else, I have lots of cookbooks but looking to find some day to day ones that I can use mid-week.

thanks
Gordon
30 Apr 2013, 16:30
izzy wrote: Can anyone recommend a good low carb recipe book, using ingredients that can be found easily in the UK?

http://uk-mealplanner.atkins.com/atkins ... archparam= might help, some Americanizms have slipped through but the web site may be updated and fix that.
30 Apr 2013, 16:37
Hi Gordon,

I've also got the Fast Diet recipe book now, but for me, the 2 Day Diet book is simpler for everyday, (not being a great cook!) and I think I'll get more use out of it. It's also got some nice recipes for the non-fast days.

Not sure if you're vegetarian or not, there's only about 6 main meals which are veggie, but from the list of non-veggie, fast day 30 minute meals, here are some of my favourites that I want to try:
Piri-Piri Turkey & Geen Pepper Skewers
Open Spiced Turkey Burgers with Guacamole Topping
Grilled Miso Chicken with Pickled Vegetable Salad
Stuffed Tarragon Chicken with Bacon & Roasted Vegetables
Chicken & Spinach Curry with Raita
Lemon & Garlic Tiger Prawns
Mustard Salmon with Leeks, Asparagus & Tomatoes
Goan Spiced Mackerel with Tomato & Chilli Sambal
Thai Beef Salad
Herb & Mustard Crusted Pork Fillet with Fennel & lemon

The list above is actually most of the main meals for fast days, (probably 4 or 5 more inc Duck, Venison, Haddock), but theres' also a section for breakfasts and salads & packed lunches, as well as the whole section for non-fast days.

One of the things I like about this book, is that it doesn't just list calories, it also tells you Carbs, Protein, Fibre & Salt. For someone like me who needs to reduce carbs and increase protein, this is really useful.

So, in a nutshell, it's not quite as thick or as fancy as the Fast Diet book, but I'm sure It'll get more use.

Evie
30 Apr 2013, 19:20
Hi izzy, I've found the best way for me to change over to low carb was just to get rid of all the white stuff, but I think you already do that - no white flour, sugar, rice, potatoes. I make a lot more veggies and eat millet, quinoa, barley, yams, cassava and plantains (but in fairly small portions) in place of those ingredients. I never thought I would be able to stop eating pizza and pasta, now I don't even miss them. I think the trick is you need to get more adventurous with new flavours and spices, variety is the key!
5 posts Page 1 of 1