The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

11 posts Page 1 of 1
I'm on my fifth week of fasting and my favourites so far are:

3 scrambled eggs with 15 grams of coconut oil, chili, parsley and garlic - keeps me full for many hours.
Sashimi - lot's of flavour from the soy, gari and wasabi!
Tuna salad - a small mountain of vegetables + garlic and fresh chili in the dressing.

Apparently spicy food makes my fasting days easier :smile:

Worst food was a lentil soup - I was hungry even though I had 500 kcal of soup.....

What's your favourite food on fasting days and have you found any food/dishes that did not work?
This isn't a meal, but I always include radishes on what I eat for fasting days. They are low in calories, and I feel like I am eating way more than the calorie intake!

I also usually have either poached salmon or steamed tilapia over salad.

Fasting today!
I totally agree about spicy!!

My favorite two dishes all winter are a veggie curry (and I always made it spicy) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1644 and a black bean and chicken sausage dish (I make it with lots of cayenne and I either serve it as soup, or as a stew over a little bit of brown rice) viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28

I really love the strategy of cooking a pot of food on Sunday night, so that I can just reheat fast dinners on Monday and Wednesday nights. I don't always succeed, so this morning I made the pot of dinner for our fasts this week (black beans and sausage soup)

I also like salads with piece of grilled chicken or beef, depending on my mood.
Microwave steamed vegetables in a salsa of tomato puree and chili powder, with diced avocado on top. The sweet and spicy flavor of the salsa really complements the bitter cabbages I like to eat, and everything is nice and juicy.

It's also a nice way to use up the sad remains of my vegetables if they happen to have gone a bit soft or wilted, before my weekly box is delivered again.
Soup!
Made a lovely tomato and lentil soup the other week (just made it up on the spot) which did for 4 fast days. Very tasty.

Relatively quick and easy and you can ring the changes every week. :grin:
I have the same food every fast day. If I have a breakfast, it's scrambled egg whites with salsa. Dinner is usually a medley of roasted vegetables or an enormous salad. Sometimes I skip the morning eggs and just have the big salad for dinner.
Some kind of stir-fry/steamed vegetables. Start out with chopped onions in a spritz of oil then just keep adding what ever vegetables are on hand and plenty of spices, sometimes curry or chili powder. Sometimes add a couple of beaten eggs or diced left-over meat or just top with baked tilapia. Serve with salsa, tabasco or tapatio sauce. :) mmmm yummy ... dinner only 7 hours away.
Almost anything out of the Hairy Bikers diet book :wink: and they all come in under 500 cal!
I have come to rely on finishing out my fasting days with a small apple, cut into quarters and each quarter "smeared" with a little smooth peanut butter. I usually have a Marks & Spencer low-cal ready meal for around 350 cal and the PB apple is my "dessert". Knowing it's coming gets me through the day.
Homemade split pea soup (yellow or green) at 85kCals per serving. Very filling.

I also have a cup or 2 of miso paste dissolved in hot water if I get hungry between meals...approximately 20kCals each. Nothing so fancy as a miso soup. It has just enough salt and flavor to satisfy an urge to snack.

Hard boiled eggs don't work for me. I had close to a dozen that had been hanging around a bit long, so I made them hard boiled thinking they'd keep and I could have a couple on fast days for the protein. Unfortunately there is something about the texture that tempts me to binge on them. :(
Hard boiled eggs - blech! There is something about the texture that tempts me to gag ;-).
11 posts Page 1 of 1