The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Food Scales
07 May 2013, 00:01
Hi All,
Can I sneak a question about food scales in here. :)

I am looking at purchasing an Oxo food scale so that I can get a better idea of portion sizes. The question is, can I get by with a 5 lb scale or should I go with a larger 11 lb scale? I don't know why I would need a larger one, but thought I'd get some feedback on it before going out to spend the cash.

Thanks in advance.
Windowseat
Re: Food Scales
07 May 2013, 00:26
I'm pretty sure mine is only 1kg. I never go anywhere near the max. I'm cooking for one though.
07 May 2013, 01:18
Well I'm thinking the smaller size, but I just didn't want to overlook another use for which I might need the larger model.
07 May 2013, 01:25
Hallo Windowseat,

I haven't got the Oxo food scale but just bought the Salter Ultraslim Aquatronic (Stainless Steel 1035 SSBKDR) scales for just the same reason - Imperial and metric (these do go up to 5kg/11 lbs which can be useful if making double batches of something although I didn't initially buy them for that reason), and go up in small increments (1 gram) - love the adding feature for all in one bowl, but these also measure liquid measure in mls and fl. oz which I find really useful when checking recipes for calorie values when I find that often liquids were wanted in gram measurements - this converts it for me I don't have to work it out.

I love them especially the fact that they don't take up much room.
07 May 2013, 08:11
unless you need to weigh a big turkey or something the smaller one will do. You generally weigh one ingredient at a time and I can't see many occasions where one ingredient is more than 5 lbs (and if it was two weighings would be 10 lbs)
08 May 2013, 13:39
Thanks everyone for your input. I just purchased a "Salter Air" and I think it will do the trick. Have a great day! The sun has just risen over here in BC, Canada and it's a glorious day. :)
24 Jan 2014, 10:14
It depends on your usage and recipe that how much ingredient you are going to weight. But 5 lb scale is enough for using in kitchen because most of the people don't use much ingredients in their recipe.
24 Jan 2014, 13:53
I just have a small Salter scales that goes up to 3lb or 1.5kg. With a family of 4 I have never needed a bigger scales except when I'm weighing non-food stuff for parcelforce that is . I use a thin platic mixing bowl most of the time and zero once its on the scales, that way I'm not trying to balance something precariously on the flat glass surface.
24 Jan 2014, 14:16
For years I had a Slimming World "dial" scale that showed in 5g increments but a couple of weeks ago I finally invested in some battery operated digital scales (Salter, half-price in the Sainsburys sale!) and I am SO enjoying the accuracy of them. I really feel virtuous now I can tell to the gram/milligram how much I am eating.....

(I don't have a clue how heavy they go up to but I love the fact I can put a saucepan on them before switching them on and the reading will automatically set to zero.)
27 Jan 2014, 06:57
Me also looking for a better food scales which provides me more accurate results about my calories.I think above discussion helps us a lot and solve our problem.

:like:
10 posts Page 1 of 1