The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

15 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

Hope no one minds my posting this again...not sure if it was seen on the back of an old thread at the end of last week.

I bought Slim Pasta and Zero Noodles from Holland & Barrett expecting to like them, and hoping they would be a fast day fill you up essential, but for me the texture is just awful.

So - with that wonderful sales pitch (!) would anyone like to take them off my hands?

Preferably someone who can collect, or I could arrange to deliver(within the Aylesbury / Tring / Berkhamsted / Milton Keynes area). If no one local is interested, I will post to the first person who sends me a PM as I hate waste!

As a last resort, does anyone have any other uses for them? :lol: :lol:
Very generous of you, but I threw all mine in the garbage - they are horrible!!
Well if their that delicious then I will make a note never to buy them :lol:
I have found the angel hair one to be ok if I do the following... Rinse and rinse and rinse, then marinate for a few hours in ginger, soy and lemon juice. If I do that they taste Ok. And are a filling lunch with some salad for under 20 calories!
I guess shirataki are an acquired taste. I've been eating them in Japan without even realizing it. Alot of food here has weird textures. As long as it isn't slimy (see natto and yamaimo), I'm usually ok with it.

I did just purchase some from the grocery store for the first time, so I'm looking for recipes. I guess this is the wrong thread for that!
Sorry that you don't like shirataki noodles. I found them when I was thinking about being gluten free and so was delighted that they had so few calories. We have been having lots of salads so it was nice to have a hot pasta dish for a change without breaking the diet. Maybe you could give them another try later in case you can get used to them. I had them with a version of the tomato and aubergine recipe I found here. Was good.
Just to throw my twopennorth in, I cannot collect as I live in France but ...... I think they're fab, I have them most fast days, love the noodles, futtucini is fine, haven't tried the penne yet, but don't like the rice.

The trick is to rinse in warm water for ages & then eat with something nice & yummy
I was thinking of buying some and I am another who doesn't like waste, so if you'd be willing to post them to me for me to try I'd be very grateful :-)

Dolly
I bought them and really like them! I totally know what you mean about waste.. I got in there just too late though! Enjoy! x
I've found the Slim Rice great over the last few weeks for my fast day lunches. Am mixing with Dolmio pepperoni pasta sauce, and some onions and tomatoes. The only calories really are from the sauce, so I can afford to go for a nice rich one.
Pity about the price of the slim rice though, too expensive for everyday use.
When the rest of my family are eating pasta, I finely shred up some white cabbage and steam it for a couple of minutes, so there is still a little crunch, season generously, and have that in place of pasta. It's really lovely (and ridiculously low in calories).
blackberry101 - have you tried the Dolmio low fat sauce - it's only 175 cals for a 500gm jar. Me and hubby shared it last night when I did a chilli - it was lovely :-)
Oh, I'm sorry Dollydipstick. I've had a couple of PMs and think I have a claim on these now. :bugeyes: If I don't hear back I'll let you know.

I like the idea of the white cabbage as a replacement for pasta - what a fab idea. I've had cauli mash but not sure what the technique is for the cauli rice. I'll see if I can look it up on here but if I can't find it Izzy, I'll come back and ask. :lol:

And, Congrats to anyone who can stomach them! Now I know that I could never do I'm a Celeb! :razz:
I bought some of these from Holland & Barrett a while ago now and not got round to using them. Cooked them tonight however and took advice to make sure they were well flavoured - coated them with some sweet chilli sauce and a few more spices ..... and they were still yuk!!! Glad I only bought one packet .... shan't be buying them again. I can see that they're a bit like Marmite - love 'em or hate 'em :frown: Still - we don't know unless we try do we :smile:
I bought the Slim pasta here in Australia i think its the same thing.. i put it in my asian soup and it was fine.

but the other day i found this at Woolworths asian section. Green Tea Noodles. 79 Calories in 100g and the 100g i used served 3. so a serving seemed to be just 30 calories

It was so nice in my soup. And expanded in a big way.

Made from Green tea powder , wheat flour salt and water.

package looks like this http://image.made-in-china.com/4f0j00BM ... Noodle.jpg
15 posts Page 1 of 1