The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

12 posts Page 1 of 1
to ready meal......or not
21 May 2013, 06:38
Hi,need your views here
I generally do not "ready meal" as I've found them too salty in the past, I don't add any salt to my cooking......

But it would be nice to just pop a meal in on a fast night, I've been looking at the waitrose love life range, as they seem to be quite low in salt :?:

Anyone got any ideas/suggestions/comments and recommendations :confused:

Thanks!!! :wink:
Re: to ready meal......or not
21 May 2013, 06:40
Hi, I don't do cooking but I do have weight watchers ready meals for my fasting day meal, perhaps you could take a look at the range ?
21 May 2013, 06:46
I love the Waitrose ones - I had the Chicken Masala lately, which was great. Have you looked at the ones from Cook? They are meant to be very good, and natural.
21 May 2013, 07:28
I have ready meals on fast days as I am ravished by the time I get home and want something quick and easy! Sainsbury's do some lovely taste the difference ones, the chicken satay is delicious, not sure about the salt content tho, I don't really look at that, just the cals!

Marks do some lovely ones too.
21 May 2013, 07:55
I'll be having Marks & Spencer's hot-smoked Lochmuir salmon with potato salad and watercress for lunch on Thursday, which comes in at around 240 calories. I've decided that I'm going to make diet days something to look forward to, rather than something to get through, so I'm going to go for low-cal luxury those days.

Given how much we're saving on food, including on "normal" days (I didn't even bother having my customary glass of wine last night), I feel I can splurge a bit and still not increase the weekly food bill.
21 May 2013, 08:06
As I'm not in the UK I don't know who much help I can be. I know what your saying regarding pre-packed being salty I've found that out here in Australia in the past also, they seem to be salty to my taste as I don't add salt to my food too.
I hope you get some great idea /suggestions and I don't think their is anything wrong with them if only I could find a great one in rural new south wales :neutral:
Good luck and I hope you find some great meal ideas :grin:
21 May 2013, 09:16
Thanks for your comments - i think i'm going to spend my lunch today reading labels in Waitrose and M&S!! LOL!!

If they are low in cals and low in salt, i'm in! :)
21 May 2013, 09:35
I've tried some from Waitrose and some from M&S - haven't really looked at the salt content (and in fact have once or twice felt the need to add salt, which I don't normally do) - and definitely preferred the M&S ones. I found the Waitrose ones a little watery.

If you go the M&S route, do be aware that not all of them are microwaveable! It may be bleeding obvious but when you're racing around the M&S throwing boxes in your basket trying to catch your train it might escape your notice that some are in metal containers (not that this has ever happened to me ;-) )
21 May 2013, 09:42
I like some of the Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself ones. I think they claim to be low salt etc. after reading the salt thread it appears we shouldn't worry too much, but I don't like things that are too salty.
21 May 2013, 09:46
In Australia we have a brand called Healthy Choice, and I have found a meal I like called Fillet of Lamb with Veg which is only 256 cals.
I don't have a ready meal every fast, but use it when I'm too tired or hungry to cook, or if I don't have to cook for the family.
I usually add some extra steamed veges.
It is a bit high in salt but if that is the only salt you have all day it's not bad.
I don't know if it is available in the UK-maybe some of the Aussies would like to try it.
21 May 2013, 10:24
Merlin wrote: I like some of the Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself ones. I think they claim to be low salt etc. after reading the salt thread it appears we shouldn't worry too much, but I don't like things that are too salty.

thanks Merlin - yes, it's more of a taste thing with salt for me than anything, i've not really added salt for so long now, any restaurant or bought food that has too much in i find almost inedible! :starving:
12 posts Page 1 of 1