The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Slim noodles
04 Jun 2013, 17:33
Hi

I have just purchased a packet of slim noodles for my next fast day.

Can anyone tell me if these can be used as a substitute for pasta?
Was thinking of mixing them with some tomato passatta sauce for some spag bol but dont know what they taste like so I need some advice?

Has anyone tries this and did it taste ok?

Karen
Re: Slim noodles
04 Jun 2013, 17:38
First of all they smell really bad when you open the bag. Rinse them extremely well and it takes most of the smell away. Then boil them for 3 minutes, which will take more of the smell away. Lastly, some people dry fry them.

Now, having tried them once, I have to say they could be a good pasta substitute ... if you don't mind the texture. I tried them with some spaghetti sauce, and while they tasted fine (actually it was the sauce as the noodles have very little taste), I couldn't handle the texture after a couple bites. To me they were like long stringy rubbery calamari.

I've heard either you love them or hate them, there's only one way to find out lol.
04 Jun 2013, 17:54
They generally have no flavor but have a slightly different texture than pasta. I like them more in Oriental dishes, ie with a peanut sauce or under shrimp (that has some some Oriental sauce) that is served over a green mixed salad.

Then again, I am not a big pasta/red sauce fan.
04 Jun 2013, 18:50
I tried them once and won't be trying them again!!
04 Jun 2013, 19:07
I LOVE them, as nodakmom said, rinse them well @ & boil them for 4 mins & all is well - spookily I now prefer them to pasta :confused:
04 Jun 2013, 19:30
I dry fry them and then use them as a pasta/rice substitute... I LOVE them! They take on the flavour of whatever you're putting them with and they really help to bulk out a meal, especially on fast days!
6 posts Page 1 of 1