The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Cold soups ideas ?
20 Mar 2014, 10:02
We had, with @Sue.Q quite a strange topic of conversation a while ago, soup or salad ? She is more of a salad woman and I am, definitely a soup woman. Salad, for me, is boring as with soup, the possibilities are endless. I mean, just yesterday I throw in my slow cooker (the new love of my life, BTW) 2 small new potatoes, not even pealed, a small onion, 400g frozen courgettes, 500 ml low sodium chicken broth and, after 2 hours on low, I had a wonderful soup for less that 200 cal (did I forget to mention a tiny bit of shredded cheddar ?????), enough for 2 days (about 1.5l) and really filling and yummy.

However big my love for the soup is, I don't see myself having a hot one when I'll be 35°C outside. And I hate gazpacho. So, I was wondering, do you, wonderful people, have ideas for tasty, yummy but cold soups ?
Re: Cold soups ideas ?
20 Mar 2014, 10:13
Not a one, that's usually when I dive in the salad!
20 Mar 2014, 10:15
Excuse the pun @Manderley but the very thought leaves me cold! :frown: Some nice ideas here though to get you started.
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ttingstall
20 Mar 2014, 11:48
Yes I've stuck with the salads @Manderleyeven throughout our colder months that's just as its evolved really because I was saving calories by dropping my bread from my lunchtime sandwich and all my fastday meals became two courses with a soup starter however they were difficult on some days because I became so very cold while actually preparing all the crunchy bits to bulk up my midday meal.
That link looks great @callyanna will have another look later in the day and checkout any other soup ideas that come our way love the spicy butternut squash soup and have done a similar one with celeriac all bookmarked and now in a recipe file. :heart: Sue
20 Mar 2014, 13:03
I am always hungry after a salad, the soup fill me for a long time and my fast days are a breeze because of that. Today I tasted a radishes tops soup and was really surprised how good it was. The ideal would be a soup you could eat hot or cold (like a garden peas soup or a courgettes soup).

Thanks for the link Callyanna, I will try the Cucumber and lettuce vichysoisse, it really looks wonderful
20 Mar 2014, 13:25
Hi Manders. Nice to see you back here. I think saw you had hurt yourself (I'm only here briefly myself at the moment). Hope you are on the mend.

My raw food books are still at home but one i used to eat alot is pineapple and cucumber gazpacho http://www.rawfoodrecipes.com/recipes/p ... pacho.html. Another is chilled avocado.http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... oup-101247. This one is a vegetarian not a vegan recipe so has a bit more substance. Both have a bit of a kick.
20 Mar 2014, 13:29
I have made the avocado one from here, it's surprisingly nice:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012 ... .html?_r=0

I also make a chilled red pepper soup quite often, it's just roasted red peppers, stock, onions, herbs etc, the usual stuff, blended and chilled then served with a swirl of pesto (could also be cream or cheese), yum!
20 Mar 2014, 13:56
My husband loves melon soups - they're sweeter and often thickened with yogurt. But they're very delicious and refreshing. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but it's cold and not gazpacho
20 Mar 2014, 14:02
I make a cold pea & mint soup. Basically sweat a chopped onion in a tiny bit of oil in a large pan. Add 1 litre of chicken stock and bring to the boil then add a 500g packet of frozen petit pois peas and a bunch of mint chopped finely.Simmer until the peas are done....this is quite quick about 3 mins. Blitz in a food processor/blender or use a stick blender. Chill the soup then serve with a blob of sour cream...delicious!
21 Mar 2014, 07:35
@rawkaren, Happy to read you and thanks, the pineapple/cucumber combo looks delicious, I will definitely try this one.
And to answer your question, yes, I hurt myself, a bit of a blood pressure issue and one wrist in a spread for the next 2 weeks. Nothing bad, really :wink:

@Nicky_94 Damn these are good stuff !!!! I didn't know the carrot soup could be cold as well and I want to try those 12.

I will also try the melon and the petits pois and mint one

It's the first time ever I am looking forward for the heat wave :bugeyes: , Thanks for that ! :cool: :heart:
21 Mar 2014, 13:05
Have you ever made a tomato jelly? I remember how delicious it was as a starter when we lived in the tropics and will try and find the recipe. You can serve with salad, olives, dill pickle, ....whatever you fancy.
11 posts Page 1 of 1