The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Fig salami

250g soft dried figs, roughly chopped
40g glace cherries (I used glace Morello cherries)
50 nibbed almonds (or hazelnuts, walnuts etc)
50mls balsamic vinegar, though you could use 50mls brandy instead (hic!)

Soak figs in the liquid overnight, then tip all the ingredients into your food processor and pulse them into a coarse 'paste'. You still want to taste each ingredient and have the texture, too.

Now the fun part: tip it onto a clean chopping board and roll into 'sausages' - you will be slicing it before serving, so roll it firmly! Wrap in muslin if you can, or clingfilm and pop in your fridge for a couple of weeks (longer if possible, as it's easier to slice if it's dried out a bit)

The whole batch, using almonds and balsamic vinegar, is 1050 cals, according to my fitness pal, but even at 20 portions, it works out around 50 cals per slice. It's great with a cheeseboard or some slinky dark chocolates.

Fig salami.jpg
I can see it's going to be a busy weekend in rawkarens kitchen. Looks lovely. Thank you Penny. Mine shall have brandy :lol:
Ooh! YUMMM! I think I'll have a go at that, thanks.....
Nibbed almonds? :?: Are these the same as what we call in the US slivered almonds? Basically look like little almond sticks or slivers.
They're chopped almonds

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=nibbe ... d=0CEMQsAQ

But slivered should do the trick, too!
Thank you, when I googled I looked at the first pic and those are slivered, the rest of the pic's are chopped. Thank you for clarifying. :)
Yum yum, once you've rolled them into sausages, is it still sticky enough to roll in desiccated coconut or ground almonds or something?
yes, or indeed, wait a little while, then roll in icing sugar if you like it a bit sweeter.
Thank you - that looks delicious. Just trying to work out if I can do it without a food processor. I have a Bamix though.....?
You might need to do it in small batches, Doodle!
Deffo having a go at this @PennyForthem. Do you think it would work as well with dried dates instead of the figs as I've got a jar full of them!
PennyForthem wrote: You might need to do it in small batches, Doodle!
Yes, thanks - either that or wait until I'm at my mother's and use her food processor!
It would work with the dates, I think @callyanna - fiddly job de-stoning them, but they have a similar sticky consistency to figs, don't they.
let us know how you get on!
I'm tagging @madmittens as she wanted this recipe, too.
It sounds lovely, but I imagine the carb content will be pretty high, so I don't think it will be any good for me, unfortunately.
19 posts Page 1 of 2