The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

15 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been making veg soup from frozen veg (corn, peas,carrots and green beans)veg stock cube and water....
I thought it was good for my fasting day BUT now my friend tells me I should only have one cup because its not low calorie.......Oh no!!! I have been having 2 big bowls on my fasting day.....
Can anyone put me straight please, and perhaps an easy veg soup recipe.....
Tell me what frozen veg it is and I'll put it through My Fitness pal for you. Alternatively, sign up and then you'll have lots of facts at your fingertips (it's free)
Im sure someone will able to tell you for sure but to me it sounds low calorie I dont think it would be more than your 500 calories allowed on fasting days
Hi pennyfor them......the bag is a 1kilo bag of frozen from waitrose.......peas,sweetcorn,carrots,and greenbeans.....your help would be appreciated
Hi @happyholidays

I just wondered if the bag had the nutritional info printed on it? In Australia, almost all products have this.

The bag of carrots, sugar peas, broccoli and cauliflower that I have is 32cal per 100g, but I think corn and peas will have more cals. However, I also think you should be within the cal limit for fasting days.

Cheers and best wishes! :D
1kg bag is 513 cals, plus stock cube (I chose knorr vegetable) at 32 cals Total 545.
Ok you're hardly going to blow the fast out of the water with that total, are you?
However, there are plenty of ideas around for easy meals, once you get bored.
Oh, and sign up for My fitness pal, so you can keep a track on it all xx
Well Waitrose site ain't exactly helpful ! Looking on MFP, 1kg of frozen WT veg is.... 638 cals..

Does the whole bag do two bowls or do you get more out of the bag ?

Edit: just seen your reply PFT, guess you got the figure somewhere else !

I would suggest making your own and adding lower cal veg, or mix it up a bit.

My homemade soups vary between 80-150 a bowl.
Just looked on Waitrose web site and the Essential Mixed Vegetables 1kg mix (same mix as you mention) is showing as 510 cal for the bag so if you're eating all of the bag and not having many other calories in your drinks and the stock cube you will be Ok doing what you're doing.
The calories will be written on the bag, how much of the bag do you use for 2 bowls of soup?
There are several waitrose frozen mixed veg. I chose the one that matched closest to the OP's description. There was also a chunky veg, but I didn't think it was that one. Yes, it was My fitness pal, Gill, but with people adding their own info, you can never be sure!
Thank you all so much for
Thank you all so much for your help, luckily for a wbole bag I get 8 bowls of soup so it is low calorie....Im so pleased....I must admit Im getting really good at counting on fast days(I only have two bowls by the way :-D:-D). Just got a little panic on when I thought I had spoilt my fast....
You are all a great team....thanks
8 bowls, well done, no problems there then :)
PennyForthem wrote: There are several waitrose frozen mixed veg. I chose the one that matched closest to the OP's description. There was also a chunky veg, but I didn't think it was that one. Yes, it was My fitness pal, Gill, but with people adding their own info, you can never be sure!

Very true, I don't always trust data in MFP, there are errors :like: :smile:
That's kind of crazy to think a kg of vegetables is just a touch over the daily calorie limit. 1 kg! That's a lot of veg! It would be even more, I assume, if the mix were less starchy.

I love how much I get out of a chicken and veg stir fry. Though… I think my body is finally rejecting something in it perhaps because I've had it too many times. I'm guessing either the hot pepper or the shirataki.
15 posts Page 1 of 1