The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all

I purchased a 5:2 cookbook the other week which has some delicious recipes in and one i have tried is something called a "hunger busting balti curry". the recipe is as follows :-

This recipe serves 4 people & works out 211 calories per portion.

2 x onions
Tablespoon of vegetable oil ( i used frylight instead of the oil)
350 g of mixed sweet potato/butternut squash ( i used a frozen bag from tescos)
Half a cauliflower
Balti Paste - 1 tbsp
250ml cold water
410g chickpeas ( i used the dried variety & then left them soasking overnight)
Tin of 400g tomatoes

1 Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions and fry gently for 5 mins. Add the balti paste and fry for a minute.

2 Stir in 250ml water, butternut squash and sweet potatoes, canned tomatoes and cauliflower. Season, cover and simmer for 15mins.

3 Add the chick peas and warm through for 5 mins until the vegetables are tender.

I thought it was lovely :like:
You need to boil dried chick peas after soaking overnight though for a good hour or longer, just to be aware to factor that in incase you haven't used them before !
Hmmm, sounds rather good bar the tomatoes which I hate. What to substitute with that keeps the calorie count reasonable? Ideas welcome :)
I presume that is 410g of cooked chick peas. A 400g tin has about 240g net weight of chick peas so that is quite a lo. If you weigh them dry it would be even more
Sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Lil wrote: I presume that is 410g of cooked chick peas. A 400g tin has about 240g net weight of chick peas so that is quite a lo. If you weigh them dry it would be even more

Recipe on the net says 410gr can of drained chickpeas. I have no idea what the weight would be in dry CP's though :smile:

Alot of recipes I have done for curries use a drained 400grm can so 240grms of actual peas left as you say.
This sounds good; I'll have to give this a try at some point!

:)
Minigill wrote: You need to boil dried chick peas after soaking overnight though for a good hour or longer, just to be aware to factor that in incase you haven't used them before !

ooh i didnt realise this. I just soaked them & threw them in them in the curry.I will do this next time :like:
janeg wrote: Hmmm, sounds rather good bar the tomatoes which I hate. What to substitute with that keeps the calorie count reasonable? Ideas welcome :)

I am in the same camp - i cant abide tomatoes of any sort but you cant really taste the toms that much.
Lil wrote: I presume that is 410g of cooked chick peas. A 400g tin has about 240g net weight of chick peas so that is quite a lo. If you weigh them dry it would be even more

I used dry chick peas & soaked them overnight. I then weighed out the bag in entirety - and then weighed out the 410g that the recipe required. :smile:
10 posts Page 1 of 1