The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all!

I wanted to share this recipe I had for dinner on my fast day today. It was delicious & filling & I used cauliflower for the first time as 'rice' - it worked perfectly! Great for those craving asian style food but much healthier than a chinese takeaway!

The whole dish comes to 415 calories.

For pictures of the dish and more on how to make the 'rice', the link to my blog post about it is here:

http://thefastingdoctor.wordpress.com/2 ... ried-rice/

Ingredients (to serve 1)

1 tuna steak around 200g (mine was just under)
1 lime
Teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 a medium head of cauliflower
1 egg
1-2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3-4 scallions, chopped
Dried chilli flakes, salt & pepper to taste
Salad leaves to serve (I would have preferred some blanched pak choi or broccoli but I didn’t have any in the fridge!)

Place the tuna steak in a bowl & squeeze over the lime & soy sauce with some pepper. Leave to marinade whilst you prepare the other ingredients.

Cut your cauliflower into florets. Rinse them. Do not dry. As we are not cooking with oil, the water will help to cook them later. Use a processor/blender/grater to create your bowl of rice-like ‘grains'.

Heat up a non-stick pan on medium heat. Pop your ‘rice’ in (with your chilli flakes, salt & pepper) and start sautéing for 3 minutes. Then add the scallions for another 2 minutes. As we’re not using oil, you have to watch your rice like a hawk so that it doesn’t burn/stick to the pan (a little bit will probably stick). You can add a little bit of water to keep things moving, but not too much as the cauliflower will soak it up pronto and become more gummy-like.

Crack your egg in, mix it through & serve.

Use the same pan to cook your tuna steak. I like my tuna rare (as it doesn’t dry out!) so I literally sear it both sides for a minute or two, but if you prefer it well cooked then you may have to cook them for about 5 mins each side.

Serve with a side salad/pak choi/broccoli.

Enjoy!
lime soy tuna cauliflower egg fried rice.png
lime soy tuna cauliflower egg fried rice.png (177.31 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
The cauliflower rice idea is a bit of a hit for me I just grate and don't add water and just nuke it in the microwave for a minute and have it with what ever curry is being had eg Indian or Thai. When I have only small cauliflower and broccoli Bit left in the veg keeper I have also blitzed same in blender and had a caulibroc rice

It is nice to be having recipes added. I highly recommend some of the soups on the Forum. They are fabulous
ooh caulibroc rice, love that idea! Thanks gillymary!
Caulibroc rice! Thats really inspirational @gillymary! :like: x
Thanks for posting this. What a fabulous fast day meal! I have been using coconut oil spray. It's a god send for sauteeing and you only need a tiny amount
I will be on the lookout for that coconut oil spray now thanks a bunch @rawkaren
Thank you! would that work the same with salmon? Must try the cauliflower trick! I use it as a main ingredient for a soup along with roasted garlic.....
Ooh coconut oil spray, great idea @rawkaren ! I need to look out for this too (have only seen olive oil sprays)… I normally use coconut oil so this makes sense!

@Cobham my pleasure! It would definitely work with salmon too (I would be tempted to grill the salmon with the same recipe as I find it cooks through better than with the pan but maybe that's just me) - just remember salmon is more calorie dense than tuna, about doubly so. I used 200g tuna (214cals). 100g salmon is 208 cals. You could use 150g salmon (312 cals) bringing your dish total to 513 cals (just above the limit). Enjoy!
8 posts Page 1 of 1