The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I made a tarka dahl in my slow cooker recently and thoroughly enjoyed it! I topped it with natural yoghurt, coriander and fried (fry light) garlic, turmeric and mustard seeds - delicious (and freezes well)!

I divided my portions so i had several 100cal meals (minus natural yoghurt). It is very healthy and filling too...

250g red lentils - rinsed
1 onion
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin seeds roughly crushed
200g tinned chopped tomatoes (i put a little more than this in)
600ml vegetable stock (i use chicken stock as i prefer it)

Tarka (sprinkle on at the end - i make this fresh each time i have a pot so i adapt quantities to suit the portion size):
Oil - whichever you prefer (i use fry light or olive oil depending on how many cals i have)
2 tsp black mustard seeds (i use normal as i don't have black)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds roughly crushed
Pinch of turmeric
2 garlic cloves - finely chopped
Heat the oil and cook all ingredients for a couple of mins, if that!

Put drained lentils into slow cooker with spices
Dry fry onion then add to slow cooker
Add the boiling stock and tomatoes
Season as desired
Cook on high for 3-4 hours until lentils are soft and tender
Once cooked roughly mash the lentils
Make tarka
Top Dahl with natural yoghurt, tarka and fresh coriander

Easy :-)
Ooooo, that'll sort me out when I fancy something spicey!
I have mine with a couple of weight watchers wraps (not quite chapati's but they definitely have that satisfying feel). I eat all my cals at one sitting so I can make room for that. The tarka part sounds especially delicious. I will be adding that to my recipe next time.
Ch1ckpea, how many servings is this recipe? It looks delicious
It really depends how many calories you have to play with. It says it serves 4 however I split mine into 6 small portions, which makes it approx. 115 calories per portion (plus natural yoghurt)! :D
5 posts Page 1 of 1