The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi,

I made this last night for my first fast. Intended to have a large portion at around 300 cals but could only finish half, very tasty & filling.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1263 ... r-and-mint
Looks lovely, thanks for that, I'll try it on Thursday :grin:
Spooky - I made this last night as well for my fast day! I used some sprays of oil and fried using that and water but apart from that, I followed the recipe. We eat loads of middle eastern recipes in our house, so I was so happy to still be able to cook this one and not go over my allowance.

Good luck with the rest of the week
That looks great, I might make some up as a lunch dish instead of soup for a change as it's so low calorie. Also my housemate hates aubergines
OOOh,thanks for that! Looks delish! Just printed out ready for Thursday's fast xx
Looks delish - I added up the calories (out of interest, they all seem to be a bit different from each other) and made half the recipe to be 319 cals, so a little higher (but still perfectly doable) than the BBC website says.

I make a tbsp. of olive oil to be 123 cals - is that right? And did you actually use as much as that? I tend to cook without fat on fast days, as I can't bear the thought of "wasting" all those calories when I could have them to eat. If you see what I mean.

But to cook this without oil would probably lose a lot in flavour.
Swedey, someone made this with the low cal spray oil instead so I'm gonna go and buy some to make this, sure it will come in very handy for lots of other fast day recipes too. x
Swedey wrote: Looks delish - I added up the calories (out of interest, they all seem to be a bit different from each other) and made half the recipe to be 319 cals, so a little higher (but still perfectly doable) than the BBC website says.

I make a tbsp. of olive oil to be 123 cals - is that right? And did you actually use as much as that? I tend to cook without fat on fast days, as I can't bear the thought of "wasting" all those calories when I could have them to eat. If you see what I mean.

But to cook this without oil would probably lose a lot in flavour.

Hi,
I made half of the recipe, I did use the tablespoon of oil but it was more than I would usually use, I would say you could get away half of that (I'm not a fan of cooking sprays).

I think next time I would have just on portions with half a Pitta or a small amount of cous cous to soak up some of the juices.

Oh I also had a tablespoon of fat free natural yoghurt with it which was delicious :)
Someone told me years ago that you can 'fry' in water, so I just started it off with the cooking spray. (Dry fry or with a little spray, then when it starts to dry, add a few drops of water but don't drown it or it will start to stew) it did work but probably not as well as with oil. The final dish tasted the same though, as I've cooked it before - major yum!
Thanks for sharing this, have just made a double batch and will freeze in prep for next week's fast days. It is smelling yum. :like:
12 posts Page 1 of 1