The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

12 posts Page 1 of 1
Easy Spinach Soup
14 Jul 2013, 18:20
Just made a really good/ quick/ easy/ almost calorie free, filling soup. I sauteed a bunch of crushed garlic cloves(I love garlic) in a bit of chicken broth, threw in a whole bag of baby spinach, let it wilt, then add the rest of the quart of ch. Broth. S&P, then bring to boil, simmer 10 mins. As that was working, I chopped up about 3/4 cup raw shrooms. S&P, a few sprays of spray butter, and mic for a minute. When soup was done, ran the immersion blender in the pot to puree it, threw in the shrooms, and YUM! entire 4 cup recipe comes in at 110 cals. Just had a cup, will have another later and save the other 2 cups for my next fast day Thursday. Now just have to get thru the rest of the day.
Re: Easy Spinach Soup
01 Aug 2013, 19:42
Thanks, I'll give it a whirl
08 Aug 2013, 23:14
I made this today, and it was awesome! I did a bit more mushrooms and less spinach, and seasoned it with some garlic powder, onion flakes, crushed red pepper, and Frank's Red Hot. It had the nice earthy flavor of the mushrooms and broth, plus a spicy kick.

Thanks for the inspiration! It definitely made my fast day more bearable :) Plus I have a ton of leftovers!
08 Aug 2013, 23:28
If you liked this, try the roast garlic cauliflower soup. It's posted in the recipes section, by I forget who, but it was even better than my on the fly spinach. I'm fasting today and made a batch Sunday, just had some and mmmm mmm
09 Aug 2013, 00:14
Agree about the roasted garlic and cauliflower soup. Made it again yesterday so wonderful. I will also try this spinach and mushroom soup too thanks
09 Aug 2013, 01:00
That cauliflower soup, I almost feel guilty eating it, it is so rich and creamy, and tasty, I say to myself how can this be so few calories. I wonder how it freezes? Im gonna freeze what I have left,
09 Aug 2013, 05:54
Tried this cold - and it's great!
I'd been out to lunch recently where friend provided two cold soups - gazpacho and avocado and mint so got enthusiastic in our present warm weather.
It would be nice with a swirl of yoghurt or sour cream on the top if you weren't watching the calories. Looks pretty!
11 Aug 2013, 07:02
Oh my made this soup and people it is up there with the other one on this site my all time favourite roasted garlic and cauliflower soup

Please do yourself a favour and make both recipes. This spinach mushroom and roasted garlic recipe as above is the most wonderful green colour and it tastes Devine. Have renamed it my green goddess soup as such a sublime soup deserves an out of this world name. Thank you dianehelen
11 Aug 2013, 07:48
Sounds great, i'll give this a try tomorrow. Thanks!
11 Aug 2013, 21:15
dianehelen wrote: Just made a really good/ quick/ easy/ almost calorie free, filling soup. I sauteed a bunch of crushed garlic cloves(I love garlic) in a bit of chicken broth, threw in a whole bag of baby spinach, let it wilt, then add the rest of the quart of ch. Broth. S&P, then bring to boil, simmer 10 mins. As that was working, I chopped up about 3/4 cup raw shrooms. S&P, a few sprays of spray butter, and mic for a minute. When soup was done, ran the immersion blender in the pot to puree it, threw in the shrooms, and YUM! entire 4 cup recipe comes in at 110 cals. Just had a cup, will have another later and save the other 2 cups for my next fast day Thursday. Now just have to get thru the rest of the day.

Thanks so much DianeHelen! Just made this at the end of a very hungry fast day and it's GREAT! In fact, it's the kind of thing I'd like to make on a non fast day (with a bit of olive oil and more mushrooms of course :wink: ).
11 Aug 2013, 21:38
You are very welcome, sifrina and others. I must reiterate what gillymary said too, that recipe for the roasted garlic cauliflower is just amazing. Im also struggling thru my fast today and heated up a cup of it , and it really satisfied me as my quorn bolognese heated up. Now im not so cranky and can get thru the rest of the day :-)
29 Dec 2013, 10:38
Bumping this up for you @nursebean this is another heavenly soup. I do the garlic same way as the cauliflower soup and follow the directions here. Just Devine fantastic liquid fasting day soup
12 posts Page 1 of 1