The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

22 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Skinny pasta/noodles/rice
29 Jul 2013, 02:42
I've just tried them recently and find they don't have much taste but I put them through a stir fry and they bulk it up nicely. The ones I get you rinse in cold water first, lots of rinsing. Then soak in hot water for 1 minute and throw through the stir fry at the last minute. Don't over cook.
Or maybe I just like boiled rubber bands :?:
29 Jul 2013, 02:46
Can you believe, dianehelen, I've lived here 35 years and never been to Florida . . always wanted to, tho!!!!!
29 Jul 2013, 06:06
I LOVE them & so does my OH - even on non-fast days we rarely have pasta now, we invariably have zero noodles, we find that pasta dulls the taste of the food in comparison (& this from 5-times a week pasta people!)

I rinse them in warm water, leave them standing in water whilst I prepare the meal, then put them in boiling water for 4 minutes.
29 Jul 2013, 07:43
After I've boiled them for a couple of minutes I pour out the water and just sort of swish them round the pan with a wooden spoon over a high heat till they are really dry - they sometimes make a sort of squeaky noise as you pull them away from the pan. They don't seem to burn but might reduce slightly in bulk - not sure, and my impression is that they look a more opaque white colour - again that may be my imagination!
30 Jul 2013, 02:02
I prefer the slendier rice, it has less rubbery texture. so low in calories, a great filler on a fast day.
30 Jul 2013, 02:40
I like them. They are a go-to on fast days just prepared with spaghetti sauce (my husband who is not dieting likes them as well), plus if you have more time the Hungry Girl fettucini recipes are good. I made a soup recipe with them, it was delicious, but I froze some portions - the noodles don't freeze well.
03 Aug 2013, 15:55
I just made my first batch of zero noodles (got them from Holland and Barrett, but our local Asian restaurant has them for cheaper). I rinsed them thoroughly and then left them to dry a bit (have been told the drying part is important - less water means they'll soak up more of your sauce). Then I stirfried them in sesame and chili oil (watch those proportions) and then added garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. I was told to cook for a good 20 minutes to get them to soften a bit - I bet pre-boiling would help too (just dry after!).
I also added scallion, basil, and bok choi at the end. The end result was pretty tasty, but not because of the noodles. :) The texture wasn't perfect, but reminded me of japchae or something so it was all good.
22 posts Page 2 of 2