The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Alan Rickman RIP
14 Jan 2016, 22:05
Now we have lost Alan Rickman too. Wonderful actor. Will have to watch Truly, Madly, Deeply" again soon.
Re: Alan Rickman RIP
14 Jan 2016, 22:43
Totally agree Barb..he was fab
I love TMD...have seen it a few times,guess its time to watch again x
15 Jan 2016, 07:49
He had such a presence and such a wonderful voice. I went to the theatre a couple of years back & as we were leaving I heard his voice behind me & turned round. He gave me a Rickman scowl! He'd been there to see the play too - he was a very private man, it must have been hard to be so instantly recognisable whenever he spoke.
15 Jan 2016, 08:55
I was very upset yesterday. I have been working my through the HP films the last couple of weeks too.
15 Jan 2016, 11:10
Always reliably good, no bad films, a master craftsman. I shall miss him too.

So cancer is taking good people too soon. My OH is 69 and finding this all too close for comfort.
Let's eat real food without sugar to keep this dreadful disease at bay.
Hugs all round :heart:
15 Jan 2016, 12:35
@WarriorPrincessa cyber friend of mine got a scowl from Elton John..she gave him a little wave going to a football match,and he raised his eyebrows and shook his head scowlingly!
Another friend was scowled at in Vienna when she smiled at Michael Stipe of REM as they passed in the street!
They say that it's easier to smile than to scowl,uses less muscles! tho of course an Alan Scowl was very attractive!
Oh and a friend was told to f*** off by a member of a certain famous band in the sixties!
I think sometimes these people should recall its their fans who put them where they are,specially when all the fans are doing is giving a little look or smile of recognition xx

AB@azureblue tell yr Hub not to worry ...the number of cancer survivors is much much higher now than it used to be,despite this New Years sudden passing of several people ...( Lemmy as well as Bowie and Rickman)...its noticeable and remarkable only coz theyre individuals who were in the public eye,talented and much loved by many x
15 Jan 2016, 17:29
I didn't see that he was gone as well. I spent all week in a kind of fog after the death of David Bowie and spent all my evenings binge watching all I could found on my videos (vhs) with Ziggy Stardust and as I don't have a television, it's quite easy to be cut off from the world....

In 1994, while I was in England, I watched Truly Madly Deeply and, after the nasty Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood, you can imagine how beautiful it was.... He was since, of my favourite actor, so full of charm and so full of nuances. I won't watch TMD for a while, however, I think it would just make me burst into tears....
15 Jan 2016, 18:47
"He was since, of my favourite actor, so full of charm and so full of nuances."

A beautiful description of his acting.
16 Jan 2016, 13:16
And what a voice..... I saw him for the first time in Robin Hood in 1991 or 1992, I don't remember, it was the French version and, let me tell you, the voice they chose to dub him didn't do honour to his real voice. When I saw TMD I was just shocked and amazed how beautiful his voice was.

I am a kind of a weirdo, for me, Englishmen are the sexiest and I love love love a "pure" English accent. So, you can imagine how these 2 men who left us way too early this week satisfied that little liking of mine.... British men are also really poised and seem to have a natural elegance that Frenchmen don't have. As Latin, we can be quite loud and heavy.

It seems that he didn't know how sick he was and that it was really a fast illness. Like my dad last year. I think now it's better that way for those who leave us because they don't suffer as much as if the cancer is "palpable" for weeks or months. They were around the same age my dad was (73), I thought that cancer grew not as fast as when you get one at 40.... It doesn't seem to be the case....

Watching HP may be the easiest road to take for me because, as for David Bowie and Ziggy Stardust, it's not "really " them. It's a characterization, they are different than their "real life" self, it may even be difficult to recognize them. It's not as "in your face " that with TMD, for example. To give you an idea of what I mean, because it seems to be really confusing, I can watch the Ziggy videos (well, most of them anyway) and I feel good about it, it even makes me smile at times. However, if I watch a concert where David Bowie appears as himself (like the 2002 Olympia concert), I will have tears rolling in my face.
17 Jan 2016, 07:22
Devastated, really :( Two beautiful and very talented men lost in less than a week, same age and from the same horrible illness.

I drank and watched Labyrinth on the day David Bowie passed away. Along with Dark Crystal and Princess Bride it's the very first film I remember watching as a kid. He was just so charismatic, attractive and wonderfully multi-talented all his life. I remember watching Zoolander and getting all fangirlish when he had his cameo!

As for Alan Rickman...well, TMD, Robin Hood: PoT and the Harry Potters all the way. The thing is every film I love, Rickman was in it and usually stole the show. His humour, voice and acting just made everything he's been in so much more - I don't know - colourful? Even if I have watched him in movies throughout my life, I just loved him as Snape. For one, I won't hide the fact I love the Harry Potter films (I love fantasy) and they're up woth Lord of the Rings/ The Hobbit for me. For second, they just had some amazing casting in HP anyway with the likes of Gary Oldman, Robbie Coltrane and Maggie Smith anyway. Rickman was just born for a role like that, and like many Severus Snape was my favourite character from the books to start with. Just so deadpan, nasty and with that snide wit! Perfect.

Being an English girl myself, it might seem a bit self indulgent to declare my love of our men, but I'll do so anyway. Sad they passed and feel for their families.
10 posts Page 1 of 1