The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

2 posts Page 1 of 1
Interesting piece - and I learned a lot from it.

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj/2015/01/15/foo ... tors-care/

Elliott did not believe the UK big retailers were anything but victims in the horsegate affair. Sainsbury’s had not been affected because it already undertook DNA testing of meat, a fact that the criminal networks knew. Marks & Spencer was not affected because it does not buy processed meat from anyone because of the potential for pork product contamination. Tesco and others have taken major hits, and incurred massive costs in their mitigating actions....

Current austerity policies in most western countries are creating new and bigger markets for criminally processed food. There is growing recognition of the problem of food poverty and acute hunger in the UK, and people who are poor are most vulnerable to being exploited by food criminals. This is in addition to being victims of the legitimate food trade, which disproportionately markets and supplies a diet of processed high fat, high trans fat, high sugar, high salt, low nutrient foods. Affordability of food is crucial, because this will militate against vulnerability to food crime.
Totally agree we should all be very concerned about what we are puting into our bodies - seeing that we expend a lot of effort to live a healthier lifestyle. I have emailed countless official people (MPs etc) to say that it is not good enough that most of our food product labels state: packed in Australia from imported ingredients. I want to know imported from where! There are some very dodgy countries that use untreated sewage for irrigation. Everyone official I have spoken to says it would require too much of a change. Big food companies dont want us to know more like! Great article.
2 posts Page 1 of 1