The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Floods
27 Dec 2015, 12:00
Thinking of our English, Scott and Welsh friends as I watch the news here in Summer Australia. Is everyone ok? Quite a lot of rain.
Re: Floods
27 Dec 2015, 14:23
Thank you @sallyo. It's a beautiful day in Cumbria. We didn't get hammered much this time and a lot of the sheet water on our back roads is draining away - somewhere. I hope everyone in Lancashire and Yorkshire is OK. Next bout of deluge is on Wednesday.
27 Dec 2015, 17:23
We are safe and dry. We live on a hill, but plenty of water about. It is dreadful for those in Lancashire and Yorkshire.
28 Dec 2015, 00:18
Do you know @barbarita and@rawkaren, if there are forum regulars who we should particularly be thinking about? I am a bit vague about UK geography.
28 Dec 2015, 18:21
@sallyo. Not sure but do hope everyone is ok.
29 Dec 2015, 02:09
The people who are flooded and/or without power are probably not thinking about letting us know how they are going. It all sounds dreadful. Meanwhile it upsets me that 100,000 South Americans have been evacuated due to flooding in Paraguay, Uruguay, Argentina and we don't get that story on our news.
29 Dec 2015, 09:13
Just read about it and hope everyone is okay. :clover:

For my defence, I don't have a television (by choice) and I don't really read the news, they are too depressing most of the time for my sake
29 Dec 2015, 10:27
Yes, it is even worse in Paraguay. It has been on the BBC News App.
29 Dec 2015, 17:01
Hi @sallyo thanks for thinking of us Northern Englanders!
Here in Liverpool we' re safe so far..fingers x'd
my heart goes out to all those affected..some people have been affected by floods two or three times over the last few weeks...must be so soul destroying x
02 Jan 2016, 23:47
Hello @Sallyo and many thanks for reaching out to us. I'm just back from a wet and soggy Lancashire in our parts. We did not make the boxing day meet up hosted by a close family friend 20 miles away as the bottom of my sisters home road was a flood in all directions, she lives on a hill. Despite being stranded, luckily the flood did not damage homes in the local community.
My thoughts are also with everyone affected by climate change worldwide. x
03 Jan 2016, 10:17
Hi @lizbean, wondered if you had been up North over Christmas. Did you manage to get out for any walks in your wellies?

Storm Frank seemed to miss the bits of Cumbria that got hammered before, with the exception of Glenridding, but on the other hand Grasmere flooded. A friend and I went down to look at the wreck of Pooley Bridge (the bridge itself) a couple of days ago. Ullswater was up to its banks and the destruction to the wooded slopes by the road and the bungalows I had coveted was shocking. Wonder how they will replace the bridge?

Also one of my regular road walks out of Penrith is impassable because of Eamont Bridge and old Brougham Bridge. And of course riverside paths have been trashed, although understandably this will be way down the Council's list of priorities.
03 Jan 2016, 11:38
We don't have floods- but I wish it would stop raining!
04 Jan 2016, 06:56
We don't have floods, we have drought. I wish it would rain.
13 posts Page 1 of 1