The FastDay Forum

Non-diet Chat

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi. I've just joined this morning and am delighted to have found you. I am starting my 8th fast day today and fast for two days a week, on Mondays & Thursdays. I have a lot of weight to shift but don't look anything like as heavy as I am as am tall and well proportioned so carry it well. As a teenager I was tall and broad and was always described by my mother as 'just a big girl'!

However, I have been on blood pressure medication to regulate it for a few years now and losing weight should help with reducing it significantly. My weight has been the bain of my life, all my life. How tedious is that?!

My husband has a very few kilos to lose so he's joined me in my goal. But I need to lose about four stone and am taking it gently, gradually. I'm 58 on Sunday, run my own business, walk a dog most days & do one to one fitness training in the pool once a week. I am a determined person and I intend to make this happen.

I have lost 3.7 kilos so far and am feeling well and able to cope with a long-term commitment to myself, to lost this weight. Look after yourself, love yourself, especially today!
Hi Peta & welcome! I'm glad you found us too, the more the merrier! Isn't it nice to find a happy group of 'dieters' rather than the usual restricted miserable bunch? At least that's how other diets made me feel. But I guess that's because this isn't a diet, it's a way of life & what a fantastic one!

Sounds like you're doing really well so far and I'm sure you'll lose that weight before the year is out. I've just hit the 2.5 stone loss mark today having been doing this just over 6 months. It's slow and steady now but I don't mind because the weight keeps dropping and I'm still enjoying all my fave foods - possibly more than I should, but if the scales are going down I'm happy :)

How lovely of your hubby to be doing this alongside you, that will make things simpler in terms of meal preparation. Mine isn't fasting, but then he's a slender chap and does a physical job so probably wouldn't manage too well. I have to cook different meals for him when I'm fasting, it's a pain in the backside!

At least it's Valentine's day today so I don't have to cook - out to dinner tonight, and will enjoy dessert & starters as well as a glass or two ;)
Hello Peta and Welcome!
I love 5:2, it makes e feel better :)
Now I'm drooling looking at a Hotel Chocolat booklet. lol
Hello Peta,
My husband and I are working to the same pattern as you but are only on our sixth fast. So far, no problems but I have always been a very committed dieter. That's the main problem because I have always been a very committed eater when not dieting! Hopefully, this WOE will overcome that and with added health benefits! I find the forums brilliant because not only are they very informative and supportive but one can't eat whilst typing!

Pashcaline
How can you torture yourself with a Hotel Chocolat booklet? We've cancelled our subscription - for the time being!
StowgateResident wrote: How can you torture yourself with a Hotel Chocolat booklet? We've cancelled our subscription - for the time being!

And it was sounding so good until you said that!

Surely either HC is gone forever or you should keep on enjoying it right now (well, not on a fast day obviously.) Because 5:2 is for life - in some form or other.

I don't think it's obligatory to spend a fast day studying a chocolate catalogue though - I agree that seems like a refined form of self-punishment, Pashcaline? :)
Thanks for your welcome & messages.

Yes, I agree about not drooling over anything remotely delicious on a Fast Day. That's bonkers!

Oddly enough, today has been the most difficult of all the fast days I've done so far. Is it because I didn't have breakfast I wonder? I saved up for lunch but then felt really hungry after I had eaten 4 Kallo Rice Crackers (100 cals) and an 85 calorie Minestrone cup of soup.

Weigh-in tomorrow morning amd then a hair cut - perhaps I should weigh myself after the hair cut???? :lol:

Enjoy yourselves, whatever it is you're up to this evening! :roll:
Peta, if I had to guess I would say it was the rice crackers wot did it. When you take some carbs after a gap it sends your system into hungry mode (carorees or PhilT could put it more scientifically). That's one reasons why many of us end up having nothing except liquids until evening.
Sorry dominic! We are only into 5:2 for three weeks and, after years of calorie counting - and failing, I felt that I needed time to train myself not to look on chocolate as a tempting 'forbidden fruit' but as a legitimate food choice! A whole box of chocolates in the house might be a step too far for me, but an occasional Creme Egg? Who knows - maybe!
Don't worry SR, maybe it's sensible to keep temptation at bay in the first few weeks! I hadn't realised you were quite new to 5:2 as I see your wise words already in postings around the forum.

I am finding fast days getting easier and easier (I am just completing one now), partly through practice and partly through learning (through the excellent advice on this forum) about cutting down on the carbs before and during the fast day. My problems come on the day after the fast - I ate quite a few chocolates after my last one - when I felt far hungrier even though I was eating 'normally' again.

Still I stand by my basic point, which is that 5:2 (once you're through the initial acclimatisation - say 4 weeks?) is having your cake and eating it - only not on a fasting day. I am looking at one now and not wanting it, much... :)
Dominic, I was part of the dieting 'industry' years ago, so have quite a good knowledge base and a keen interest. However, knowing what one 'should' do is not the same as doing it! 5:2 is a big change for me and I am very hopeful that it will provide a more balanced relationship with food and a healthier lifestyle.
10 posts Page 1 of 1