The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

498 posts Page 25 of 34
Previous 1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 34 Next
Re: Gardeners Corner
26 Jun 2014, 15:54
I was going to post a couple of photos of my garden here but had to give up, it worked a few months ago when I posted a photo of my cat. :frown: :frown: :frown:
26 Jun 2014, 19:57
Well, it is a good thing I got around to taking those pictures yesterday, because we had a major rainstorm last night that dropped 3-4 inches of very heavy rain on us in about 3 hours, and it knocked down all those tall peach leaved bellflowers and shredded a lot of the petals on the pinks.

My husband is an obsessed photographer, so I asked him why when I take a picture of the garden you can't see the colors and the flowers, but when you look at it, they just pop. He mumbled something that went over my head, but basically meant that yes, it is almost impossible to take pictures that capture the blossoms and they pay big money to the people who can do it.

@coffeetime, what a clever idea to use the CDs. Just today while driving into town I noticed that the people down the road who have put in a nice vegetable garden this year have hung those aluminum pie plates on strings that are tied to tall poles. They are shiny and flap around in the wind, so I suspect it must be the same principle.

Now if only there were some way to discourage deer short of a shotgun. They came back and chewed up my tall phlox again, and not content, then polished off all the flowering branches of one of the Rozanne cranesbill geraniums. I have friends who have tried electric fences, deer repellent, you name it. They assure me none of them work, so I have saved a lot of money, but have not saved the pyramidal yews that flank my front door (that need to be yanked out and replaced with something deer hate), the tulips, or now, it appears, the cranesbill geraniums.
26 Jun 2014, 21:12
That must be so disheartening @peebles, slugs, aphids, vine weevil, rabbits and pheasants are bad enough but deer can do so much damage in a short time. This gardening lark is beset with so many frustrations but when we see the colourful flowers and home grown vegetables it's all worthwhile - and we never give up, there's always next year try again!
27 Jun 2014, 13:37
Well, my garden has a rabbit, but since I don't grow veggies, he's not a problem. No pheasants, though we do get a family of wild turkeys that stroll through the garden from time to time, but they eat bugs. There is also a bear which is why I can't have bird feeders any more. My neighbor photographed him on our deck some years ago and called me in a panic. But fortunately, I haven't seen him for quite a while, and it has been a few years since the moose left footprints across the lawn.

I grew up smack in the middle of New York City and have spent the rest of my life living as far out in the country as possible. But now that I am on the wrong side of 65, I am starting to think it might be wise to move somewhere a bit more civilized where it would be easier to live if I couldn't drive. OTOH, every time I check out houses in such places, I flee back to the peace and beauty of my current home thinking I could never live with so many people, so much traffic, and so little green.

It's a tough one. . .
27 Jun 2014, 17:59
Do I need to stake my cues?
27 Jun 2014, 22:24
I think it's optional,@carieoats. I have staked them and I have not staked them and it doesn't seem to make much difference. The only advantage of staking is that they take up less room as they grow up rather than sprawling all over the ground.

Commiserations to people gardening with moose, rabbits, deer, pheasants and other wild life. Very difficult. We have to net all our berries or the black birds would get the lot. Stone fruit we can share with the silver eyes and the parrots, because we get enough of them and leave the top branches to the birds, but berries and blackbirds, no.
27 Jun 2014, 23:19
I had a lovely blueberry bush growing in a pot. It started to produce lovely blueberries. I was very proud of it. I chased the birds from it everyday. One day I came home and my bush was no more :( the culprit? My dog! She ate the blueberries, the leaves , the twigs the lot. She then upturned the pot, spread the compost all over the decking and sat in it. My dogs name is Blueberry! Blueberry ate my blueberry bush!

I now grow lettuce! She doesn't like lettuce!
28 Jun 2014, 02:36
@sallyo I would so love to have parrots in my garden!

@minsmum That is so funny about your dog, Blueberry. If you'd named her Lettice, would the lettuce be in danger?
28 Jun 2014, 05:58
oh, @Minsmum that made me laugh. My problems were with my hens, but as I just left them free ranging, I didn't really have a leg to stand on to complain.
The ducks kind of flattened things but not too much damage. No, my biggest difficulties were the weather- a short growing season due to low-ish temperatures and the wind. Very exposed and salt laden, with gales regular. No planting out until after the May gales and everything decimated with the September gales. The shelter belt that I was trying to establish finally got there but there was nothing higher than me- 1.5m!
And still I miss it...
loving all of your victories, harvests and challenges. I can garden vicariously :D
29 Jun 2014, 15:52
The latest from the patio and garden makeover. Please ignore the planks of wood propped at the end of the garden.
The left hand side gave a good spring show even though nearly everything had been moved only 3 weeks prior to flowering. Its looking a bit green now, but the seedlings are budding up nicely and will fill the gaps very soon.

29 June 2014 forum 3.jpg
29 June 2014 forum 3.jpg (147.93 KiB) Viewed 389 times
26th June 2014 forum 1.jpg
26th June 2014 forum 1.jpg (154.4 KiB) Viewed 389 times
29 June 2014 forum 2.jpg
29 June 2014 forum 2.jpg (159.63 KiB) Viewed 389 times
26th June 2014 forum 4.jpg
26th June 2014 forum 4.jpg (150.95 KiB) Viewed 389 times
29 Jun 2014, 22:36
Beautiful, @julieathome. What a piece of work! And @peebles, you would love parrots in your garden until they ate all your walnuts. Then you might not feel so enamoured of them. As I say, we don't mind sharing the stone fruit, but when they take ALL the walnuts, we feel very dark. This year they didn't but one other year we didn't get a one. Maybe it depends on the season and whether they can get what they like in the bush.
29 Jun 2014, 23:17
@julieathome What a lovely compact garden, and such a beautiful view out past it to those rolling fields!

@sallyo How nice to be able to grow nuts, even if the parrots eat them. It sounds like I could be very happy living where you live, except that I'd never get to see my children. There are days that too would be a benefit--one of them can still throw a full-fledged teenaged tantrum in her 30s, but I do live in hope of someday having a grandchild.
07 Jul 2014, 13:44
Progress! Bought a ute load of compost and spread it inches thick all over the bed and planted red onions, leeks, spring onions and winter spinach. So pleased! I put little plastic houses over the spinach to protect them from the birds. It's all going to feed us in the spring.
07 Jul 2014, 15:49
image.jpg
After 2
image.jpg
Before 2
image.jpg
Before
image.jpg
Runner
image.jpg
After
Just a couple of pics from me and one question.
Pics first.
School garden cleared by two of us during training day today. Two grass snakes were found, only little ones.
Then my first runner bean of this crop.
And,,,,, will I get a cucumber from every flower?
07 Jul 2014, 20:06
What a huge improvement!@carieoates
Previous 1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 34 Next
498 posts Page 25 of 34