The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

498 posts Page 4 of 34
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34 Next
Re: Any gardeners here?
09 Oct 2013, 13:27
trying out the photo uploader

this is an amazing callistemon just going into bloom here. took the pic on the weekend. aren't the colours amazing

did find out it cant be more than 512kb so if taking from a camera you would have to resize in some kind of graphic program.

yep the system resizes for the post but if you click in you get the original photo
09 Oct 2013, 13:33
Callistemon? Learn something new everyday, lol Here it's referred to as 'bottle brush' but ours are red, never seen this gorgeous color here. :)
09 Oct 2013, 13:50
Rawkaren, this has turned out to be a wonderful topic. Its fascinating to hear and see what people around the world are doing. I love the bright colours from warmer climates but even up here in the cold north my petunias put on a stunning show this summer. It's also inspiring me to think about my veggie boxes for next year. Any recommendations as they are in a shady area and remember that spring is quite cold up here?
09 Oct 2013, 14:15
Right. Got it this time. Thanks everyone Image
09 Oct 2013, 14:27
wildmissus. How about some broad beans for next year? They are hardy and easy to grow. I think I had aquadulce. My garden is north facing and I had quite a crop. It was ridiculous to take a picture of a tomato, but I was very proud of it - it looked like a work of art. Tasted great too :heart:
09 Oct 2013, 18:57
I would love to join in as well. I am an apartment dweller but grow kale, chard, strawberries, herbs mixed in flower boxes and containers. So very jealous of those with land but I am sure God will have a big garden for me someday.
09 Oct 2013, 19:04
Welcome! Please bring cake and photos. We now need a bigger potting shed. Maybe Huecherella can design an expandable one for us :lol:
09 Oct 2013, 19:31
Yes I would be really interested. I've gone mad on roses at mo, I got them off the web has a bare root rose. I must say they are going to turn out beautiful for next season. We have a citrus tree and just concerned about covering it for the winter, any ideas would be helpful!!
09 Oct 2013, 22:34
wildmissus wrote: Rawkaren, this has turned out to be a wonderful topic. Its fascinating to hear and see what people around the world are doing. I love the bright colours from warmer climates but even up here in the cold north my petunias put on a stunning show this summer. It's also inspiring me to think about my veggie boxes for next year. Any recommendations as they are in a shady area and remember that spring is quite cold up here?

Wildmissus do you have the room for a compost bin or 2?. We actually have 3 on the go.. one i take from, one thats "cooking" and one i put scraps in. you just add all your kitchen scraps and a bag of cow/sheep manure purchased from a store every now and then and maybe blood and bone and lime. it makes such a difference. I also have a worm farm thing so thow in buckets of worms that speed it all up.

with good home grown compost/soil you get amazing growth

for anybody wanting to be inspired by a gardener, a came across a blog by a lady in the US that is simply amazing http://www.annieskitchengarden.blogspot.com.au/ She produces over 1000 pounds of food annually in quite a big garden.
09 Oct 2013, 22:38
rawkaren wrote: It was ridiculous to take a picture of a tomato, but I was very proud of it - it looked like a work of art. Tasted great too :heart:

No way! this is the best thing about plant/fruit/veg photography. just the 1 fruit can be a work of art as you say. my big whopping pumpkin..

I cant grow tomatoes other than cherries, to save my life as they get the dreaded "Sydney virus" i think. Anyhow i now have mastered the art of tomato plant cloning. the little offshoots you normally clip off, if you find one big enough you just literally put it in a jar of water, give it 2 weeks and you are guaranteed a bunch of roots. you pop that in the ground, and a new plant!

ive not grown from seed all Spring!
09 Oct 2013, 23:41
I don't know what I've done right this year for my 'Passion Flower' plant, I guess it just likes being in the ground instead of a pot. Its gone nuts and has grown at least 12 foot this year with vines clambering over my shed now that I've put some wires up for them to cling to.
I have had loads of buzzing, nectar hunting insects this year and I'm quite proud about helping the bees along.

Click on the image to see the full image (I hope).

Bee's on lavender

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/6026/2tyi.jpg

My little garden

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/4619/vx6g.jpg

Passion flower with a bee hugging the centre.

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2430/5clm.jpg
09 Oct 2013, 23:48
Julie! What a lovely garden! I especially love the kitty waiting for a belly scratch. ;)
10 Oct 2013, 00:04
Stunning garden Julie! Both the flower pic and bee pic are awesome shots.
10 Oct 2013, 12:42
Juliana. You are probably sleeping right now but I vote you as head gardener :like: You are incredible. I love the pumpkin pic, especially juxtaposed with the glass of vino :wink:
10 Oct 2013, 22:17
rawkaren wrote: Juliana. You are probably sleeping right now but I vote you as head gardener :like: You are incredible. I love the pumpkin pic, especially juxtaposed with the glass of vino :wink:

Thank you! not sure if im head gardener but i guess even in my tiny backyard ive had 2 decades of "playing around". Don't produce snything like the quantity of Annie in the US and im a bit of a just pick leaves and fruit as i need. If anyone wants a salad sandwich dont ever need to go to the store. I love my cloning thing at the moment just find it fascinating that you can pop a tomato cutting in water and out comes a full blown plant within about 2 months.

If truth be known im secretly hoping for a "tree change" where i can have a garden 3 times the size of what i have. Maybe one day.

My new thing is sprouting seedsso anyone here without garden space should try sprouting alfalfa seeds or similar. I used to do it ages ago and I believe they are really healthy for you and great for fast days! You just have to purchase a small sprouting kit.. all started when the local Aldi store had them as a weekly special.

this one.
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 34 Next
498 posts Page 4 of 34