The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

41 posts Page 2 of 3
Yes Debs is 32 degrees here today. We have had some nice cooler days this week though.
Doesn't sound too bad!
Would this help. I guess its some kind of 16:8 "when you need to"

ive always dismissed 16:8 mainly because i want 4 free days to not worry. from the moment i get up to the moment i get to sleep and reserve 3 days for calorie restriction.

I guess as i skip breakfasts all fast days i am indeed doing 16:8 with 4"3 though never really labelled myself that way

But yesterday my traditional fast day I was visited by my Indian neighbour up the street who gave me a dish of this sweet yoghurt.. not sure what else is in it but im thinking cardoman, condensed milk, cream etc. anyhow i love this dish so much i consumed the whole lot by midnight sneaking a spoonful every now and then . Not my usual fasting behaviour

When i woke to a scary figure on the scales.. i thought.. what if i dont eat until i see the figure i should see or 3pm whichever is the earliest, meaning ive had a 16 hour of no eating. and then i though i can even do that after a feast day. give myself a figure based on my trend weight and what i should be at allowing myself a little more grams after a feast day.

I will weight myself at say midday and then at say 2pm. Then when im satisfied by my weight i start to eat, either at fasting calories or non fasting calories. ( i dont mind jumping on and off scales)

Of course if im out and about i cant do this only if home with my scales.

anyone think this could help?
I can't see that it would work TBH as it won't go down unless you are planning not to drink anything. I'd just let it go and try again tomorrow.
Working on the listen to your body principle I discovered 4:3was too much! I have no problems with Monday and Thursday, but if I try to throw in a sneaky Saturday it just doesn't seem to work. Damage limitation is fine, but fasting no way.
Debs wrote: I can't see that it would work TBH as it won't go down unless you are planning not to drink anything. I'd just let it go and try again tomorrow.

its about 3 hours since i last weighed myself and ive not even had a coffee (more cause i forgot) and 300g have gone. Haven't even been to the loo so thats just burning energy I know.

i am fasting tomorrow anyway

this did teach me not to give in but if you tried this yoghurt sweet, youd do the same!
@FatDog linked to an interesting article in a thread I started about changes in TDEE when losing weight (poorly named perhaps--alot of info in there could apply to plateaus). It's a trainer's blog, so it has to do with clients that plateau. Basically, the answer to your problem depends on what the cause it, and it could be multiple things. The first guess is usually non-compliance. In the case of 5:2, with so few rules, this may translate more to a lack of calorie deficit. Re-feeding might be the answer, but only if you are truly in "starvation mode". To figure this out, you'll probably have to do a really honest assessment of your calorie intake. I've been doing this lately and was surprised to find that I am overeating on non-fast days. I thought my appetite had adjusted to prevent that, but with my lower TDEE due to my lower weight, I am indeed going over on most non-fast days. I haven't been tracking long enough to know whether this accounts for my stalling lately--I think I still have a decent deficit (based on predicted TDEE) since I do 4:3.

Here is the blog post: http://www.burnthefatblog.com/archives/ ... isited.php

This is the thread: 5-2-diet-chat-f6/change-in-tdee-with-weight-loss-t11078.html
I have to say it sounded pretty luscious!! Most Indian sweets are a disaster, but there are a few like kulfi that hit the spot!
Debs wrote: I have to say it sounded pretty luscious!! Most Indian sweets are a disaster, but there are a few like kulfi that hit the spot!

I am going to get the recipe off her. Cause it's like Gold. I think they make their own yoghurt too.
did somebody say kulfi?! good thing I'm not fasting today…

(thought my chances of finding kulfi in Okinawa are slim to none)
Yes, sorry!!!
I have made my own, very very nice!
As @MaryAnn says - compliance is a big issue.

I was "stuck" bouncing around the same pound for near five weeks a couple of times. Indeed, I've been within a four pound window since November! Affy frustrating. But stressing about it doesn't help, unfortunately.

I had several blow-outs which tended to take me up by several pounds, but this WoE has always brought me back down again, albeit slowly.

I think I got things firmly moving down again by returning to "strict" (as opposed to "slack") mode, i.e. eating at / just below calorie (and, in my case, carbohydrate) allowances. I think @SueQ has done something similar.

On the bright side, plateaus are good when one is maintaineering, so maybe there are useful lessons to be learnt here too :)
FatDog wrote:

On the bright side, plateaus are good when one is maintaineering, so maybe there are useful lessons to be learnt here too :)

Never thought of plateaus from that point of view @Fatdog That's definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
I posted a link to an article on plateaus, it was quite interesting and if you are currently suffering a plateau evidently it's a good thing.....for a while!
resources-links-f3/how-to-break-through-a-plateau-t11124.html
41 posts Page 2 of 3