The FastDay Forum

Fastonbury Glamping Grounds

6 posts Page 1 of 1
Slow cooked duck leg
27 Jan 2015, 08:37
As you can guess, it's not a fast day recipe I am looking for :wink: . I am doing a duck leg for tonight and I was thinking of doing a slow cooked one with my slow cooker or in the oven. Except I can't find a proper recipe with no oranges, no alcohol for the sauce. I need a simple recipe with a few ingredients. What method of cooking is best, what about the temperatures (°C) and for how long does it have to cook and rest ?

Re: Slow cooked duck leg
27 Jan 2015, 08:45
I need this information too!
27 Jan 2015, 09:35
Im fasting so i would love a bit of duck! :grin:
27 Jan 2015, 09:42
It's funny how people's perspective can be different. For me, duck leg is part of the fatty meat so I wouldn't eat it during a fast day. Maybe it's because of my country's culture about it. I mean we have confit (slow cooked with a lot of duck fat oh so yummy but very very very naughty), foie gras, of course and even potatoes roasted in duck fat :shock:

I plan to do it with chestnuts so definitely not a low cal meal :razz:
28 Jan 2015, 06:40
Here's how I finally did it.

Brown the meat, skin down, in a hot pan without any other fat, of course, until the skin is colored and some fat runs down
Keep the fat for later (I cooked the steamed chestnut in some of it)
Put the leg, skin up with some salt and pepper in the slow cooker and add some chicken stock
Add some rosemary, thyme
Cook for 4 hours on high (I prefer my meat well done)

And voilà, the meat was tender and fell of the bone. I did it pretty much the same way I do chicken legs and will do it again :wink:
28 Jan 2015, 08:19
Sounds good. I'm doing chicken thighs with veg over 8 hours on low today. Yum!
6 posts Page 1 of 1