The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Frying in oats?
29 Oct 2013, 10:31
Hello, I'm a newby to this forum :)
I'm trying to avoid wheat and was wondering about frying in oats, possibly ground up instead of breadcrumbs.
A staple of my veggie feast day is a cheese burger that I buy from a supermarket. I love them but am going to try to change that for a home made burger of fried brie and using oats as the crispy outside.
I was wondering if anyone else has tried using oats as a crispy coating and how you got on, any tips maybe?
Thanks very much.
Re: Frying in oats?
29 Oct 2013, 11:06
welcome to the forum, Whooptedoo

I have never used oats as a crispy coating/breading before, I have no idea how that would work. Sorry!
29 Oct 2013, 11:58
I've never tried this either, but I do know that porridge oats do go crispy when I use them in a fruit crumble. This is oven baked though not fried, so not sure whether it would work fried.

It might work by grilling instead? why not just fry a spoonful and see what it looks like? no harm trying...
29 Oct 2013, 12:00
Falafels are also great as a 'burger', I make these in bulk and freeze them into portions. Very easy, very cheap and healthy too. Plus no oats required :-)
29 Oct 2013, 12:07
Just remembered years ago I used to fry herrings in oats and they were delicious! The oats gave a lovely crunchy coating to the fish.
29 Oct 2013, 13:08
Thanks for all the replies. :)
Yes! Callyanna - I knew I had seen it and indeed it was on fresh herrings. Yes, no harm in trying indeed Margie.
THe coating on those burgers is my carb luxury for the meal so I wanted to use something that would be a bit crunchy :)
29 Oct 2013, 13:12
I've had cheeses fried in couscous before, not sure if that counts as wheat? Or what about something like semolina?

Give it a go and let us know how you get on!

ps: have moved this topic to the foodie forum as it's not really a 5:2/fast day recipe!
29 Oct 2013, 13:35
Your post promted me to look up a recipe book I had forgotten about , Cooking with Quinoa.
One recipe features Crumbed Lamb Cutlets , and suggests dipping the cutlets in flour , beaten eggs and lastly quinoa flakes, then shallow- frying for 2-3 mins. Quinoa flakes are not dissimilar to oats so oats might work in the same way . . . .????

PS quinoa flakes are not the same as quinoa and less widely available ; had to order some online ,and , yes , the unopened packet is still lying in the store cupboard . . . have now started flicking through the recipe book - (just as well Fast Day was yesterday . )
29 Oct 2013, 14:43
I thought about quinoa as well but read it is higher in carbs than oats. Also tried spelt but that is also a lot higher.
I also avoid recipes on fast days Goldilox :)
Yes, couscous seems to be lower carbs in general. Though semolina seems to be rather higher.
I've also been rather influenced by Dr M who is quite enthusiastic about oats.
I'm going to try brie coated in egg and oats and see how I get on.
Thanks.
29 Oct 2013, 15:50
Coating food in oatmeal works really well. Better than porage oats. New potatoes, butter and oatmeal....yum!
Love the idea of Brie with oatmeal too.
29 Oct 2013, 16:06
Hi JaneG, I feel I should know this but is oatmeal just crushed up porridge oats?
My husband used to make brie coated in egg and breadcrumbs so oatmeal should work too I hope. Just Googled - and of course it is. For some odd reason I was confusing it with whole wheat flour Doh! :confused:
11 posts Page 1 of 1