The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Green tomato chutney
23 Oct 2013, 09:47
Can anybody recommend any green tomato chutney recipes, preferably without loads of sultanas etc as first year I've had some. Read you were making some Penny Forthem the other day any good recipes?
Re: Green tomato chutney
23 Oct 2013, 11:59
Hi@Madmois

This is my own recipe for green tom chutney, so I'm not breaching any copyright in posting it.
It makes approx. 17 x 190g jars of finished product, so you may want to half the recipe (or mature the jars until Christmas for yummy presents!)

All weight are in grams (even the vinegar, as I weigh that too!) and are for the peeled and prepared weight of fruit/veg

Green tomatoes, washed and chopped 1500g
Distilled malt vinegar 975g
White sugar 700g
Cooking onions, diced 675g
Cooking apples diced 675g
Sultanas 500g
garlic, diced
yellow mustard seeds 20g
salt 15g
ground ginger 10g
ground coriander 8g
chilli powder 7g

You can use wine or cider vinegar in place of malt and brown sugar instead of the white. It's up to you.

Simmer it all very slowly, stirring occasionally. When it's thickening, stir more frequently to ensure it doesn't stick and burn.

Wash and sterilise your jars in a warm oven (140C or thereavouts) for 15 mins.
Fill while still hot, lid and label.
Put in a cool dark place for at least a month - or till Christmas!!

Let us know how you get on!
23 Oct 2013, 12:26
Now that sounds nice. I think I will give it a try. I've made an apple and tomato chutney and branston pickle for this year!
23 Oct 2013, 12:57
Oh do try it! It has a lovely 'bite' to it. I'd make it all year if I could! But it's nice to make seasonal chutneys!
23 Oct 2013, 13:36
Thank you, will have a go and let you know how I get on.
5 posts Page 1 of 1