The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

29 posts Page 2 of 2
Re: Is chocolate good for you?
16 Oct 2013, 16:55
I'm not a big eater of chocolate but I do understand that the dark stuff with 85% cocoa solids (or whatever it says!) is OK to eat in small amounts. Rather like drinking a glass of red wine a day (I don't do that either! lol) I did buy some "proper" dark chocolate and to be honest I don't find any pleasure in eating it as it is bitter and not at all like my eyes are telling my mouth to expect.... so therefore it MUST be good for me!!
16 Oct 2013, 17:05
I got some, what I thought was, a hot chocolate mix from 'approved food' at rock bottom price. What it turns out to be is dark chocolate drops that you just mix with hot milk for a delicious drink. I've only done the drink bit once. What I find I do now is when I want a chocolate hit, I just have a tablespoon of these drops, taking my time eating them, letting them melt slowly in my mouth, enjoying every little drop. Any chocolate or sweetness craving is gone by the time I've eaten the tablespoon full.
16 Oct 2013, 17:30
I bought some raw cacao on Amazon. It's called cocao nibs. I think it's just the bean dried and broken up into pieces. It's got an edgy taste but I do like to nibble on it and I also put it in salads for the crunch or eat it with plain yogurt.
16 Oct 2013, 21:22
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES
Simples :smile:
16 Oct 2013, 21:34
Souchard, for a woman who has nicknamed herself after a chocolate manufacturer I would expect nothing less from you :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:
16 Oct 2013, 21:43
How can anyone NOT LIKE chocolate? :confused: :grin:
16 Oct 2013, 22:48
Isis wrote: How can anyone NOT LIKE chocolate? :confused: :grin:

The mass produced cheap chocolate they make easter eggs which I think in Australia its called compound chocolate is really bad and not enjoyable.

I personally believe Cadburys over the last 4 decades has changed their recipe closer to Nestle one and the milk chocolate for both now is revoltingly sweet when it was before, very moorish.

Give me Lindt, or Whittakers or any Aldi brand European style chocolate anyday.
16 Oct 2013, 23:40
This is the story of The Great Chocolate Tragedy - I'm hoping to get the appropriate reactions (wailing, gnashing of teeth, tearing of hair) in this gathering of Sympathetic Souls.

I used to be a chocoholic. Big time. Not particularly discerning. If it was covered in chocolate and didn't move I ate it. Then about 8 years ago I developed severe problem with candida and discovered that the only way to keep it under control was to cut out all sugar. Chocolate left my life (cue violins) and ever since then I've been trying to find a satisfactory substitute made with sweeteners that doesn't make me fart like the entire wind section of an orchestra.

If you're not sobbing in sympathy by now, I don't know what you're doing on this thread, I'm sure!

On a more serious note, I have discovered that chocolate is definitely addictive and if you can stay off it for a few days, the cravings do go away.

But oh, what wouldn't I give to find a decent (affordable!) substitute chocolate without sugar! :cry:
16 Oct 2013, 23:44
shachat wrote:
On a more serious note, I have discovered that chocolate is definitely addictive and if you can stay off it for a few days, the cravings do go away.

But oh, what wouldn't I give to find a decent (affordable!) substitute chocolate without sugar! :cry:

is this or similar sold in the UK. it's sugar free (and dairy free) http://sweetwilliam.com.au/index.php/Ne ... Article/57
17 Oct 2013, 05:53
My birthday is coming up in a few weeks and my husband knows that the only thing that'll make me happy is a box of Ferrero Rocher chocolates. In order to enjoy them I will have 3, one after another! I am salivating at the thought of it. Needless to say they don't last long.

And then, there's Christmas ..........

In the meantime, a teaspoon of cocoa powder takes away any chocolate cravings. I can even buy MOH some chocolate digestives and not eat a single one and that's a real achievement!!
18 Oct 2013, 13:04
Ballerina wrote: Souchard, for a woman who has nicknamed herself after a chocolate manufacturer I would expect nothing less from you :lol:

Ballerina x :heart:

:oops: I had an absolutely beautiful Chocolate point siamese cat who lived to the grand old age of 18+ - she was called Suchard, 'cos she was a chocolate point, and I use her name a lot on internet sites etc., so at least my name is one step removed from a chocolate company, but in memory of my bestest cat ever! I've got 2 Abysinnians now and they're pretty awesome, but Suchard still takes the biscuit.... if you get my drift!! :smile:

However, the day anyone decides that chocolate is bad for us then that's the time I'm finding another planet to live on :grin:

SAVE THE PLANET, IT'S THE ONLY ONE WITH CHOCOLATE ON IT ! :heart:
18 Oct 2013, 13:42
Chocolate is definitely good for me. It relieves me from stress during PMS :smile:
18 Oct 2013, 14:33
My ex partner couldn't stand the smell of chocolate and hated the taste of it, even the very good quality one so yes, there are some people who really really don't like it :razz:

Chocolate is good for the mood, to relax. When I am cold I will take a hot chocolate (with milk and real dark chocolate, everything cooked until thick an yummy) and I can assure you I feel warm inside and out after that :heart:

Tomorrow morning I'll have a chocolate/banana smoothie for breakfast and am looking forward to it (the bananas are in the freezer) :wink:
18 Oct 2013, 18:23
Suchard I am also using my cats name Isis & she is sadly also no longer with us & I think she was seventeen when she died. My half siamese black cat named Ebony also had a long & happy life & fell into her last sleep in the sun in the garden. They are both much missed but in my current location in the High Street in my village, Cats Protection refused to let us adopt brother & sister kittens because of the traffic. :cry:
29 posts Page 2 of 2