The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

5 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been thinking about getting this book for a while, having heard such amazing reviews of it. I have Plenty, and while it is so gorgeous to read and the recipes look so mouthwatering, I had never really made anything from it, so I wasn't sure I'd really use Jerusalem if I bought it.

But a week ago I had to go to a PTA lunch and was asked to bring two carb-y salads. I didn't fancy potato salad so I checked out Plenty and found recipes for two wonderful salads, green couscous and barley with pomegranate seeds. They were both a big hit, and neither was hard to make (both together took me about an hour, but there was a fair bit of chopping). I have since then made the green couscous again, and my family loved it. We had a tiny bit leftover and the next day it was even better. I will definitely crack the book for more!

I've also been reading the food column of the New York Times, and they ran the recipe for cardamom chicken and rice from Jerusalem. I'm always looking for recipes that use chicken thighs, as I can get them cheaply and it's easy to keep a stash in the freezer. I was in a particularly weak moment, as I was eating falafel and hummus from one of my favourite fast food lunch places in the City, and they were out of their amazing burnt/fried aubergine I usually have when I get lunch there, and while looking at the book on Amazon I found they had recipes for it. That's it, I was sold. I couldn't wait to have the hard copy - I wanted to be able to read it on the train home tonight so I sent it to the Kindle.

So, besides the cardamom chicken and rice, does anyone have any suggestions for what to make next?
Middle Eastern food is my favourite from all the world cuisines. My late mil was a native of Jerusalem and taught me how to cook. I long for her mahshi (stuffed veggies) especially her kusa (stuffed courgettes) in a yoghurt and tahini sauce. Wish I could get such tasty veg here but we don't have the climate! I use so many lemons if I had a lemon tree I would save a fortune. it's not all doom and gloom here though - today I picked another crop of blackcurrants, strawberries, mint and parsley. There are very few Middle Eastern restaurants here, it's much more popular in London.
Had a google and it looks good think I will seek it out as like those middle eastern recipes and Mediterranean style of eating sing to my foodie soup
There is a fantastic recipe for roast chicken with saffron, hazelnuts and honey from his first book Ottolenghi
I am LOVING this book. On Saturday evenings I sometimes do "themed" dinners for us and the kids, and I'm thinking this Saturday is definitely going to be a Jerusalem night. We'll have a mezze, might even do homemade pita breads. Really excited for this!
5 posts Page 1 of 1