The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Low-carb "Hamburger Bun"
26 Jan 2014, 14:05
Decided to have a day off from low-cal yesterday after my good week. I still counted my calories but when I had my home-made spicy carrot and lentil soup for lunch, I fancied something "carby" to go with it so I found this recipe and as it sounded quick, I decided to give it a go...

http://www.food.com/recipe/very-low-car ... bun-229625

My assessment is this....

Firstly, it swells up quite big so I think you could get away with trying half or two-third proportions of the recipe. I'm a big eater but even I thought "Woah!" when I turned it out to cool! With a slip of the hand, I put too much salt in it so it was salty. I think I also used too much butter. I've not tried anything with "flax seed meal" before (I had bought milled linseed from H&B) and it tasted surprisingly good... if a little "eggy", but I don't mind that.

The bad news was that later in the day my tummy distended and filled with gas and whilst I didn't have rapid transit, I did end up on the loo 3 or 4 times, so I'm guessing higher proportions of milled linseed doesn't agree with me. I do eat small amounts of whole seeds in the Omega Sprinkle that I have on my porridge on eating days.

Although the calorie count was over 400, the carb count worked out at only 4 so if you are following a "Watch your carbs but not your calories" WOE, this could work for you. As I say, I'm not sure I got the proportions right as "two tablespoons of butter" is quite ambiguous....

I may try an alternative version in the future using coconut oil instead of butter and ground almonds instead of milled flax.... and maybe a little lemon and artificial sweetener to make myself a nice "cake" :smile:
Re: Low-carb "Hamburger Bun"
26 Jan 2014, 15:13
Have you read any of the Pig2twig books? There is a fantastic recipe for a lemon cake made with ground almonds and it is delicious. I will try and dig it out and post it for you if you haven't seen it. We used to have it with double cream on top......yum!
26 Jan 2014, 15:15
Ooh yes please, Babyfish... not seen that x
26 Jan 2014, 15:37
Hi Domane,

In the US a tablespoon is a precise measurement. You can convert to grams here: http://www.traditionaloven.com/conversi ... erter.html

and to ml here: http://www.metric-conversions.org/volum ... .htm?val=2

Love your experimental attitude!
26 Jan 2014, 17:43
Thank you for those, Marybeth! Bookmarked!!!
26 Jan 2014, 18:02
Yay, it's a linseed minute muffin in one of its many forms...

I couldn't do with the eggyness of them and, after much experimentation, came up with this:

FatDog wrote: It's not Hovis or artisan-speciale but it sure deals with my bread cravings and a whole wee loaf (~150g) comes in at about 23g of carb - which *I think* is the equivalent to about a standard slice and a half of normal bread (I don't count Slimcea or Nimble as bread, they're air bubbles with wheat surrounds). I'd generally not want to eat more than a quarter, at most a third, mini-loaf in one sitting (okay, my appetite is reduced but even the old FatDog would have been grossly stuffed after a half).

Add to that, it doesn't have any rubbish in it (unless you put it in there!) and it takes just a few minutes to prep and then a few minutes in the microwave. I reckon it's a pretty darn good alternative to bought, or even oven-cooked, conventional bread (oh, and if you get gluten free guaranteed oats, it's gluten free). I haven't costed it yet, but don't *think* it's remotely OTT; the organic eggs bump costs up slightly - if I didn't mind chicken torture the cost would be dramatically reduced.

progress-f4/topic6427-465.html#p129271

Monday, low-carb day one-hundred and seventy-six, repair day

oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version
soya flour, 424c/C16.0/F20.0/P39.0/Fi12.0/100g
......... 30g 127.20 4.80 6.00 11.70 3.60
linseed, brown, fresh ground, 534c/C1.5/F42.16/P18.29/Fi27.3/100g
......... 40g 213.60 0.60 16.86 7.32 10.92
oat bran, Holland & Barrett, 389.2c/C59.1/F6.5/P12.6/Fi9.3/100g
......... 30g 116.76 17.73 1.95 3.78 2.79
eggs, brown, organic, 151c/C0.0/F11.2/P12.5/Fi0.0/100g
......... 53g 80.03 0.00 5.94 6.63 0.00
baking powder
......... 8ml 0.00 (ed. was 5ml)
water
......... 40ml or enough to make a sloppy dough (ed. was 50ml) 0.00
olive oil, 824c/C0.0/F91.6/P0.0/Fi0.0/100ml
......... 5ml 41.20 0.00 4.58 0.00 0.00
salt
......... goodly pinch of 0.00
total for oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version 578.79 23.13 35.33 29.42 17.31
FatDog's ½ portion of oat bran, linseed & soya loaf, no. 2, microwave version 289.40 11.57 17.67 14.71 8.66

Method: 1. thoroughly mix dry-stuff together in a microwaveable dish, of a suitable shape for your mini-loaf; 2. in another bowl, beat the egg, oil and water; 3. thoroughly mix the wet stuff into the dry stuff - you're after a "just wet enough to shake down into form" batter; 4. ping for two minutes, rest a bit in the open to let some of the damp off, then ping for another two minutes.

You should be able to slice it once it has cooled a little. It tastes wonderfully like a brown wholemeal bread - no egginess at all. Rather pleased with this.

And I keep forgetting the oil - which makes it slightly (but, sadly, not much, more repair day friendly) - and it's fine without.

Edit: and if you like the almond cake idea, I don't think that one can beat Celia Brooks Brown's almond muffin / cardamom cake recipe which is on my log and here 5-2-diet-recipes-f5/low-carb-muffin-bread-t8680.html#p102706
26 Jan 2014, 18:13
Are these oopsie rolls any good? Sounds like something even I could make!!!!

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2013/07/23/oopsie-rolls/
26 Jan 2014, 18:43
I've done an eggy / cream cheese pizza base @lovemyparrot, and it was very good if I remember correctly.

The recipe on your link looks very tempting - might have a shot at that, sooner rather than later!

Oopsie rolls aren't everyone's bag though, a while back I encountered a youtube video of a woman giving them a "right slagging" for being eggy and cheesy...
26 Jan 2014, 19:53
Corrrrr... thanks, FatDog.... they look great, I'll definitely try both of those!

And pizza base made from cauliflower rice is lush too....
27 Jan 2014, 12:47
@Domane

Lemon Sponge pudding Recipe (pinched from Neris and India's idiot-proof cookbook, otherwise known as Pig2twig)

2 large eggs separated
60ml double cream
2 tbsp Splenda (optional)
Pinch of salt
Grated zest and juice of 1 large lemon
120g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 170c/gas mark 3
In a large Pyrex bowl, mix the egg yolks, cream, Splenda, salt and lemon zest until smooth.
Whisk in the ground almonds and baking powder until smooth.
Place egg whites in a separate bowl and whisk until soft peaks form.
Quickly stir lemon juice into the almond mixture, followed by a large spoonful of beaten egg whites, then fold in the remaining whites.
Bake for 30-40 mins until just springy to the touch.
Serve with cream or real custard.
27 Jan 2014, 13:08
Thank you Babyfish... I've also written that one into my recipe book to try when I'm back on maintenance.....
28 Jan 2014, 11:23
@Fatdog I just made some of your flax meal, oatbran and soya flour "bread" - thank you for the link to that in your diary. I've had half of it, sliced in two and toasted with butter and a couple of poached eggs for my belated breakfast (a lovely low net carbs meal) and it was TOTALLY delicious and very filling! :like: So I just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the direction of the recipe.

Will let you know later whether I have any repercussions from all that fibre!!! :confused: :wink:

Much appreciated!
Jane x
28 Jan 2014, 22:08
Woo-HOO!!! Probably TMI but delighted to advise that I have had absolutely NO "after-effects" from my breakfast bread! I shall definitely be having that more then :)
13 posts Page 1 of 1