The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Popcorn
07 Feb 2014, 22:18
We usually have sweets and chocolate on a Friday night but this week I hit on the idea of flavoured popcorn in order to save some calories.

I popped some corn in coconut oil and then drizzled half of it with melted bitter chocolate and the other half with melted white chocolate and lemon essence. Put it all in the fridge to set. Was gawjus! Anyone got any other flavouring ideas? Thanks x
Re: Popcorn
07 Feb 2014, 22:25
:heart: Hi @Wendy Darling Well Done on your weightloss :heart:
We had a dish of popcorn that was chilli flavoured served to us last year on holiday really nice I think I tried a salted version also, :heart: great idea of yours may give that a go :heart:
07 Feb 2014, 22:32
Oh wow that sounds marvellous. I love popcorn but I like the toffee flavoured one so have given up on it in my quest to eliminate sugar as far as possible. 85% chocolate or chilli or both together sound fab :)
07 Feb 2014, 22:57
Going to do some more tomorrow with dark chocolate and ginger. Like the idea of chocolate and chilli too. Am thinking herbs but not sure what to use to make the herbs stick. Butter maybe?
07 Feb 2014, 23:20
Great idea Wendy, I've not a sweet tooth, but as I have cut out white carbs too - tonight we had seared lamb, celeriac with added horseradish and three lovely sweet dates. So I'll try popcorn, ground almonds, chopped dates with a whirl of honey and Greek yoghurt at the side. Lizzie
07 Feb 2014, 23:26
This could open my mind to a whole new way of eating. Or not.
I have never done popcorn.
What do I need to do?
07 Feb 2014, 23:42
@pennyforthem OK. Melt some coconut oil in a saucepan, add 1/4 cup of corn kernels, put the lid on, shake them a bit and then watch them go! Once they have stopped popping, put them in a bowl and add your flavourings. I know you're fond of cheese and chutney, so, Kirsty did some with mincemeat which were baked for 10 minutes. You could possibly do some with grated cheese and chutney, whacked in the oven for a bit. I think I might have a go at that tomorrow. Thing is, whatever you choose, don't let them get soggy. Let us know how you get on. Thanks x
08 Feb 2014, 00:14
@Wendy Darling i am in bed with just 500 cals in my tum..do you have to torment me this way? :wink: xx
08 Feb 2014, 00:19
Sorry Candice. Dream of popcorn and make some for brunch. Full English popcorn. Now there's a thought! x
08 Feb 2014, 00:21
Hehe! Now youre talkin,full English popcorn!
Yours sounded dreamily yummy
I like a combo of sweet and salty popcorn,so might dream of that x have you had it,big pack for just £1 in tescos x
08 Feb 2014, 00:42
Sweet popcorn. I wasn't expecting that.

Other than eating cracker jacks as a kid, I only eat popcorn as a savory snack. Not that I wouldn't try these.

I like a bit of parmesan cheese sprinkled on popcorn.
11 posts Page 1 of 1