The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Seasonal satsuma muffins
03 Dec 2013, 15:48
Yesterday I picked up a dozen organic eggs reduced to the crazy price of 30p as it was their sell by date so have been on a massive baking splurge today to use some of them. I hate wasting any food and as there were some sad looking satsumas lurking in the fruit bowl I decided to adapt a recipe I'd seen online to make these Satsuma muffins.
2 cups flour (I used 1 of soya and 1 plain white)
0.5 cup sugar (I used Demerara)
2 tsps. baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
0.5 tsp salt
1 -2 tsps. ground ginger
250 ml yogurt
1 organic egg
2 tbs milk (I used unsweetened almond)
1 tbs melted coconut oil
1 cup Satsuma flesh (about 3-4 fruit)
1 tbs grated rind

Preheat oven to 180 C or equivalent. Lightly grease muffin pans.
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl.
Mix remaining ingredients in a food processor (Or whisk well).
Stir wet ingredients into dry and mix well.
Fill muffin pans 2/3 full and bake 18-20 mins.
These are seriously yummy and moreish!
Re: Seasonal satsuma muffins
03 Dec 2013, 16:03
I think i' ll jump on the train to yours
They sound lovely! X
03 Dec 2013, 23:46
Hi callyanna, that sounds great, I think. :) Not quite sure what a Satsuma is?? I'm thinking it's what those of us over here in the colonies call a tangerine? gotta stop talking about muffins now, the end of a fast day. LOL. hope you are having a good day. Phyllis
04 Dec 2013, 00:17
In Japan satsumas are called mikan. Satsuma are the clan from Kagoshima who conquered Okinawa in the 1600s.

The muffins sound good!
04 Dec 2013, 08:09
Yes satsumas are a small citrus fruit similar to a mandarin orange or tangerine! I suppose any citrus fruit would do but you'd probably need more sugar with lemons or limes.
04 Dec 2013, 08:18
These sound lovely Carol. I hope you are sharing them with us all as there seems to be rather alot there!

I wonder what they would taste like with a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg in as well if the ginger was reduced a little?

I have been trying to make a low carb version with cranberries and satsumas. Had one fail on Saturday so I'm trying again today.
04 Dec 2013, 08:33
I ate two yesterday with a cup of coffee @rawkaren, just for quality control purposes you understand! You could always sub ground almonds for some of the flour to reduce the carb count and of course try varying the spices. I know you're a 'Spice girl' sowhatever floats your boat! BTW, have you received your CBB'S Low Carb Vegetarian book yet? :?:
04 Dec 2013, 08:36
No! I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. It has been shipped but its probably stuck on Santa's sleigh somewhere......
04 Dec 2013, 14:59
mmm, yes @izzy, chocolate and orange, lovely combination! :like:
17 Dec 2013, 13:55
I made these last week and they were delicious, light and fluffy! thanks :-D
17 Dec 2013, 17:47
Glad you enjoyed them Jen! x
17 Dec 2013, 17:51
These sound seriously tempting. I will see what fruit is going cheap this week and have a go at some muffins as I haven't done any for ages.
17 Dec 2013, 17:58
Well I'm definitely no Mary Berry when it comes to baking but they even turned out well for me and were well received by the family too who usually prefer 'shop bought' to my offerings! :oops: :confused:
13 posts Page 1 of 1