The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

8 posts Page 1 of 1
Souper thread revived!
16 Nov 2013, 17:25
Today at the market, I bought a pack of ox tails from a local farmer. They smell absolutely deeeeeevine (in the slow cooker) and I plan to strip the meat and turn it into Oxtail soup (nothing like the canned variety).

It's a lot of work and time, but so satisfying in the cold winter days.

We had a soup thread months ago, but just thought, with so many new members, I'd start another!

Any other souper ideas? :wink:
Re: Souper thread revived!
16 Nov 2013, 18:00
We have a glut of Kale in the garden (it feels odd saying that in November) and although OH loves it, it's a bit too iron -y for me, so I thought I might try it in a version of the Caribbean Calloo soup. I will report back
16 Nov 2013, 18:08
Hi everyone,

What a coincidence. I bought some beef for soup on Friday and plan to make a beef & barley soup on Sunday. Nothing warms the soul like soup. Yummy. :heart:

Anne
17 Nov 2013, 11:23
Just reporting that my oxtail soup is delicious! Yes, a lot of messy work, but 'worth it'.
17 Nov 2013, 13:07
I will have to nip to the butchers and get some ox-tail. I haven't had any for years. With the slow cooker it makes all the sloww simmering so much easier.
My favourite at the moment is a chinese chicken soup, noodles are optional.
Sping onions sauted in butter, then small diced chicken fried off, add some garlic, ginger (powder or fresh is OK) a bit of chilli and cook for 10 minutes. Thicken slightly with arrowroot if you have it to keep the soup clear, or cornflour. Add the noodles after 5 minutes of cooking if you are using them.
17 Nov 2013, 19:28
You've inspired me Penny and its cool here today. Lamb and barley soup for us tonight with tomatoes,carrot onion pumpkin and parsley. :-)
17 Nov 2013, 19:42
Baked garlic and cauliflower soup and mushroom garlic and spinach soup on recipe forum here are fabulous for fast days. So what do you do with the ox tail as I do an oxtail stew am wondering what the soup entails
17 Nov 2013, 20:19
Basically stripping the meat from the bones and then blitzing it with all the veg and stock cooked with it. Yum!!
8 posts Page 1 of 1