The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

15 posts Page 1 of 1
The Low Carb Festive Kitchen
25 Nov 2013, 17:49
I have started this thread for any low carbers/low GI'ers/sugar free folks as holiday season is now upon us (well in the USA anyway). I will get us started, and please can you contribute with your own ideas too. I think we need to compete with the indulgent sugary confections going on in that other thread!!!

I have four things to share today. All take some time to prepare, but well, its the holiday's so you have time don't you?

LOW CARB CREPES

I'm very much in awe of @FatDog and her low carb pancakes, and so she has inspired me to see if I could make some crepes as they are so versatile this time of year with sweet and savoury, and as I discovered yesterday, lasagne sheets - whoop whoop!!! Recipe is courtesy of Danielle Walker, and if you are interested, 10 crepes is enough pasta sheets for a lasagne that serves 8......

Ingredients.
6 large eggs
3 tablespoons of coconut flour (sifted)
2 teaspoons of melted coconut oil.
Coconut flour is about twice the price of other specialty flours in the UK, but you need far less as it really absorbs liquid, so I guess it is cost effective in the long run!

Method.
You blend the eggs, flour and oil together, but then let it sit at room temperature for a good 15 minutes to let the coconut flour do its thing. If you don't let it sit, you just end up with an omelette, so after 15 mins you will see it thicken up like proper batter. You need only a smidging of oil in a non stick pan and I found it better actually cooking without the added oil. I used a quarter cup of batter per pancake on a medium heat, poured it in and swirled it around my pan (25cm/10in) until the base was completely covered.

Cal and carb count. This mixture makes 10 crepes and comes in at a bargain 56 calories and 1g of carbs per crepe.

RICOTTA CHEESE
Jamie Oliver is right. For some odd reason its really hard to get decent ricotta in the UK. Courtesy of Maria Elia, this is so easy to make I can't quite believe I have not had a go at this before. You need a muslin cloth and a piece of string. Reminds me of summer.........

Ingredients
Litre of full fat goats milk. I used fresh, not UHT, but I'm sure it would be fine.
Half teaspoon of sea salt plus more for seasoning
5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Tablespoon of dried mint (optional)

Method
Heat milk and salt over a LOW heat (or you will burn the milk onto the bottom of the pan) and heat until it reaches 87 degs (I don't have a thermometer so did it until just to the boil). Remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Stir just once. Don't be tempted! Leave to sit for 5 mins, the curds will separate. They are very fine curds and they rise to the top.

Line a small colander or sieve with a muslin, leaving enough overhang so you can bring the sides together. Ladle rather than pour the curds and whey into the lined colander placed over a large deep bowl and leave to drain for about half an hour. You then bring the corners of the cloth together and tie with string, making a loop at the top. Leave to drain for a couple of hours, depending upon how dense you want it. I hung mine from the tap so it could drip into a bowl in the sink for 4 hours.

Remove the bundle of cheese and place in a bowl. Add the mint and season, but you can also add other things such as lemon rind, chillis, dill. Mix well. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, although best eaten within 24 hours. You can also make this sweet by adding a little sugar :shock: cinnamon and a drop of rose or orange water or pour honey over the top and serve with some figs. :wink:

Cal and carb count 644 calories and 53g of carbs for a whole cheese. It makes about a 200g piece and depending upon what you do with it, is enough for four people as it is rich.

KALE, MUSHROOM AND WALNUT LOAF
This is a nordic recipe which I found in the UK edition of Red magazine. It makes absolutely loads. You need either a very large two litre loaf tin, or two, two pound loaf tins. I put mine in a cake tin with deep sides. This is a low GI dish and is not suitable for those with gluten sensitivities or if you follow a grain-free diet. However your veggie mates will enjoy this served with cranberry relish as an alternative to the standard nut loaf.

Ingredients
150g spelt (the whole grain not the flour)
3 tbspn olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
300g mushrooms diced
600g kale, finely chopped (I only had 400g and it turned out fine)
150g walnuts chopped
1-2 tsp grated nutmeg
6 eggs
500ml low fat greek yogurt (I used full fat)
100g rolled oats

Method:
Preheat oven to 180C/375F. Boil the spelt in water for about 15 mins, drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic, mushrooms and kale for 5 mins. Please note that I blitzed mine in the blender first so it was very finely chopped, I also made sure there was no water in it at the end of the cooking time. Turn off the heat and add the spelt, walnuts, nutmeg and seasoning and mix. Beat the eggs with the yoghurt and stir into the pan along with the oats.
Pour the mixture into 2L baking tin lined with baking parchment and bake for 45 mins (mine took an hour). Turn it out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before slicing and serving with roast veg and cranberry relish. It also tastes nice cold spread with butter :wink:

Cal and carb count 242 cals and 22g. Makes 12 large portions

SUGAR FREE PEAR AND BERRY CRISP (grain free crumble).

It's not the lowest carb dish in the world, but as about as guilt free as it comes at this time of year. Thanks again to Danielle Walker for this one. I have had this cold for breakfast as well as a hot desert.

Ingredients
3lb's pears, peeled, cored and sliced
2 cups blackberries
1 cup blueberries
1 tbpsn lemon juice
2 teaspoons coconut flour
0.25 tspn sea salt
0.25 cinnamon
0.25 allspice

Topping
2 tablespoons coconut oil in solid form
1 cup of almonds
1 cup of pecans
4 pitted dates
3 tbspns shredded, unsweetened coconut
1.5 tspn cinnamon
0.25 tspn sea salt

Method
Preheat oven to 375F/180C.
Place pears and berries in a bowl and add the lemon juice coconut flour, salt, cinnamon and allspice and stir to combine. Pour into a baking dish.
Blitz together the topping ingredients until they look like oats/breadcrumbs and spread topping evenly over the fruit mixture.
Bake for 35 mins or until the juices are bubbling in the corners of the dish and the crisp is brown and crunchy.

Cal and carb count. 389 cals per portion and 44g of carbs. Makes 8 large portions.
Wow thanks for posting these recipes I will definitely be trying the crepes and the loaf!
Great thread idea Karen, we need all the help we can get! Will have a good look through all the notebooks of copied recipes I've got and post any I think suitable!
Fantastic and many thanks honey :0)
I would never have thought of using crepes as lasagne sheets :)

Very interesting Karen :) :clover:
Thank you Karen.
I'll put my mind to this to try and add to the fab ideas!
I've made coconut flour pancakes and ground almond ones and preferred the latter as they held better.... but then I probably got the proportions wrong for the coconut flour ones! lol I liked the flavour of both!!!
A couple of contributions although don't know whether they'd be considered 'festive' or not, taste good in any case! Sorry can't give nutritional data or acknowledgements as I tend to copy recipes I fancy from websites, library books, magazines etc into a little notebook and customise them to my personal preferences. Think they are fairly low carb but @rawkarenor @Fatdogplease correct me if I'm wrong!
CHOCOLATE COURGETTE BREAD (OR MUFFINS)
1.25 cups ground almonds
.25 cup cocoa powder
.25 teaspoon salt
.25 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 large eggs
2 tbs melted coconut oil
.75 cup grated courgettes
(optional honey or stevia if you want it sweeter)
Grease a loaf tin or muffin tins. Pre heat oven to 180 C or equivalent.
In a food processor process almonds and cocoa. Pulse in salt and bicarb.
Pulse in eggs, oil, honey if used, then courgettes.
Transfer to tin(s). Bake 35-40 mins, less for muffins.
Will post this recipe now and come back later with another one!
callyanna wrote: A couple of contributions although don't know whether they'd be considered 'festive' or not, taste good in any case! Sorry can't give nutritional data or acknowledgements as I tend to copy recipes I fancy from websites, library books, magazines etc into a little notebook and customise them to my personal preferences. Think they are fairly low carb but [tag]@rawkaren [/tag]or [tag]@Fatdog [/tag]please correct me if I'm wrong!
CHOCOLATE COURGETTE BREAD (OR MUFFINS)
1.25 cups ground almonds
.25 cup cocoa powder
.25 teaspoon salt
.25 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 large eggs
2 tbs melted coconut oil
.75 cup grated courgettes
(optional honey or stevia if you want it sweeter)
Grease a loaf tin or muffin tins. Pre heat oven to 180 C or equivalent.
In a food processor process almonds and cocoa. Pulse in salt and bicarb.
Pulse in eggs, oil, honey if used, then courgettes.
Transfer to tin(s). Bake 35-40 mins, less for muffins.
Will post this recipe now and come back later with another one!

Yum!
CHRISTMAS MORNING MUFFINS

So with poor Nigella being in the news this week, :shock: she reminded me of her Christmas Morning Muffins. I went off in search of a low carb and sugar free version, so this one is a bit of help from her and also Danielle Walker. I was taking no chances with these as my first attempt at the weekend failed. The carb count is bumped up by the dried cranberries and ground almonds, so you can reduce these further my replacing with fresh berries and a different flour. The addition of xylitol just gave it a hint of sweetness without the hidden nasties.

Ingredients
2.5 tspns baking powder
0.5 tspn bicarb
2 eggs
35g xylitol
0.25 cup of orange juice (I used satsuma)
2.5 cups of ground almonds/blanched almond flour
0.5 cup coconut oil (better melted but I used it soft)
1 tbspn coconut flour
2 tspns vanilla extract
1 tspn cinnamon
good grating of nutmeg
1 tspn of orange zest
100g dried cranberries

Method
Separate the eggs and whisk the whites until soft peaks. Cream the egg yolks, sugar and fat together until light and fluffy. Add orange juice gradually being careful not to curdle. Mine did but it didn't affect the end result.

Add the dry ingredients and rest of flavourings and spices. Mixture will be stiff. Slacken off with a spoon of egg whites and then fold in the rest of the whites. Stir in the cranberries.

Grease a 12 cup muffin tin or line with cups. Spoon the batter in until two thirds full.

Bake at 350F/170C in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. I put some water in the bottom of the oven to ensure I got a decent rise and to stop them from going too brown.

Cal and carb count 275 and 16g
Never mind Christmas Morning Karen, they sound good for ANY morning!
Yesterday I made some fat bombs but added some dessicated coconut to them this time - they're delish and are good low carb chocolate treats. I winged it but this is approximately what I did...

2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp cashew butter (have also used smooth or crunchy PB)
50g unsalted butter
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp Cadburys Belgian Choc Options
1 tbsp Splenda
100g dessicated coconut.

I melted everything in a pan on a low heat and added the coconut last, then poured into a silicon ice cube tray and froze for a couple of hours. I popped them out into another pot but keep them in the freezer to treat myself from time to time.

I got 26 coconut fat bombs from that mixture. MFP calculated 51 cals per bomb and 2g carbs, but 1g of that is fibre.
I'm not sure these qualify for low carb, but I might have a go at turning them into low carb. I'm particularly interested to try the matcha ones http://japancentre.com/recipes/japanese ... e-truffles
Merry Christmas low carbers!

SIN FREE MINCE PIES

Sorry the photo is so large, something wrong with Photobucket I think
Ingredients
Pastry:
2.5 cups almond flour
1 tbspn coconut flour
2 large cold eggs
Up to 2 cups water
.75 tspns salt
5 tbspns coconut oil
1 tbspn xylitol (optional)

Fat Free Mincemeat
100g dried fruit
50g prunes, finely chopped
zest and juice of half an orange
1 tspn mixed spice
Half an apple, finely diced

Method
Soak the fruit mix overnight in tea or booze (I used a mixture of both). Just enough liquid to cover the fruit. Cook over a low heat in the morning until all liquid absorbed and the mixture is gloopy.

Blitz the 'pastry' in a food processor, half of the water adding the coconut oil at the end. Add more water as necessary but keep checking consistency by pinching together. If it sticks together, then its ready.

Well I think you know how to roll out pastry and make mince pies, although the mixture will take you back to plasticine/playdoh lessons at school. I baked mine on 180C. I also brushed them with egg but forgot to use the egg wash to stick the lids down so they lifted as per the picture.

Carb and cal count

This makes 24 mini pies, but they are deep and rich. Cals 121. Carb count 7g. Don't anyone ever tell you that you can't have a low carb mince pie (even though they were a right old palaver to make because I used very fine almond flour which is really hard to work with). :wink:
Thanks Karen, they sound yummy!
15 posts Page 1 of 1