The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

31 posts Page 1 of 3
thoughts on sourdough bread?
28 Nov 2013, 20:58
I am trying to cut down on my bread consumption and now find a small low G.I. loaf lasts me all week. I'm interested in trying sourdough bread, however, having read various references on here and wondered what your thoughts are on it. I've never seen it for sale in local bakers or supermarkets and after googling it seems you need some sort of 'starter' to make your own and it looks quite a lengthy process. :confused:
Hi Carol. Waitrose do a couple of sliced sourdoughs. White and mixed malted brown. There is no sugar or added nasties. My Saturday morning treat. Making it is hard as you have to keep feeding your starter and if you don't eat much of it, it's not worth it.
Thanks Karen but no Waitrose locally unfortunately. :cry: Oh well, back to the drawing board! Still intend to try @FatDog's rolls! :grin:
And if you are near Selfridges in Manchester, they will probably sell Poliane. Uber expensive but proper sourdough!
We've got a starter, so are going to have a go soon at making some, but worried it'll lead to more bread consumption just after I've got it under control :sad:
rawkaren wrote: Try http://www.natoora.co.uk

Thanks for the link Karen, the bread itself is a reasonable price but minimum order is £60 before delivery so not really feasible. I'll stick to my low G.I. and I've got some pumpernickel bread as well. :grin:
www222.pair.com/starter
I think this website gives a good starter recipe Good Luck!
Heaven on a plate!!! It is very easy to get here and is absolutely beautiful. In fact I shall have to purchase a loaf at the market tomorrow as I don't know when I shall get it again as I am heading into the middle of nowhere next week.

Sour dough starter is very easy to make and keep, I have used it successfully on many an occasion. Let me know if you have trouble getting hold of one and I'll send you my recipe. You just have to get it going and feed it for three days before you start using it.
Just make a small batch to start with and see how you go.
Hi @Thelovelysqueaky

The link you gave was not available - http://www222.pair.com/starter
"Not Found
The requested URL /starter was not found on this server."

I found it here http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/sour.htm if anyone is having the same problem.
Thanks so much for all that info @izzy, you're a star! :star: Never been much of a baker, especially bread making, but will seriously consider having a go thanks to you inspiring comments! x :like:
Debs wrote: Heaven on a plate!!! It is very easy to get here and is absolutely beautiful. In fact I shall have to purchase a loaf at the market tomorrow as I don't know when I shall get it again as I am heading into the middle of nowhere next week.

Sour dough starter is very easy to make and keep, I have used it successfully on many an occasion. Let me know if you have trouble getting hold of one and I'll send you my recipe. You just have to get it going and feed it for three days before you start using it.
Just make a small batch to start with and see how you go.

Many thanks @Debs, yes, I think you must have been one of the people on the forum who had mentioned sourdough bread. Three days doesn't sound too long to wait to get going! would love your starter recipe if you'd be kind enough to share. (PM me if it's a closely guarded secret and I promise not to divulge it further!).x :wink:
@coffeetime, did I read earlier that you are a vegan? Have you tried making your own sourdough bread and if so how successful was it? x :grin: :?:
I'd have to make sure I warned my son what it was...he has the annoying habit of clearing anything out of the fridge that he has the slightest suspicion might be 'off' or past its sell-by date!
I have had my starter for about 3 years now. I made it myself and it took a month, but now I have it. Her name is Brenda. She lives in the fridge until I want to make bread - about once a week. Then I feed her 3 times and she's ready to go. I find making sour dough bread very easy. I can make a dough before work and let it rise during the day, baking it that evening. Don't believe anyone who tells you it is hard. Sourdough doesn't need warmth to rise, just time.
31 posts Page 1 of 3