The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

9 posts Page 1 of 1
All the ones I've found online have coconut milk and I wanted to try and make a sauce from scratch without that. Any ideas?
Can you make one up from scratch making it using a tomato and onion base? I make a 'made up' chicken curry where I sweat down onion, garlic and red chilli until it's soft, then I add turmeric; cumin and coriander, and the chicken (or squash in this case) and seal it, and then cook it all in a tin of chopped tomatoes until it's cooked through. I chuck in some cherry tomatoes too, if I happen to have some to hand
Butternut squash curry by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall
But that has coconut milk in ...
abbeybufo wrote: But that has coconut milk in ...

No coconut milk listed in the recipe ingredients...

Butternut squash curry

This easy curry tastes even better the next day. It's really good cold, too, as part of a packed lunch. Serves four.

4 tbsp sunflower oil
3 onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 small green chilli, halved, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm chunks
100g red lentils, rinsed
About 700ml vegetable stock
400g tinned plum tomatoes
1 big handful fresh coriander, tough stalks removed, leaves chopped
I made it up as I went along using a few different spices (mostly garam masala), tinned tomatoes and a tin of Asda's chickpea Dahl, with garlic, onion. broccoli, cucumber and the super vegetable that is butternut squash and it was delicious. I even added some king prawns and had a WW mini naan bread with it. It came in at 386 calories including some amazing cauliflower rice. I'm stuffed!
I use half low fat cream and half low fat milk if I don't want to use coconut milk.
I do beg your pardon, Keihira! I looked at the first recipe on the page, which does have coconut milk in - and missed the fact that it was for a different curry altogether :oops:

Keihira wrote:
abbeybufo wrote: But that has coconut milk in ...

No coconut milk listed in the recipe ingredients...

Butternut squash curry

This easy curry tastes even better the next day. It's really good cold, too, as part of a packed lunch. Serves four.

4 tbsp sunflower oil
3 onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
2 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
1 small green chilli, halved, deseeded and thinly sliced
2 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp garam masala
1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2cm chunks
100g red lentils, rinsed
About 700ml vegetable stock