The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

18 posts Page 2 of 2
Some good points, but I('m afraid the blanket no-no on anything "grainy" absolutely put the kibosh on this person's credibility for me. We've been eating grains for millenia - and we're still here!
Yes, but I guess a point is that Hunter-gatherers didn't eat as much grain as we do. Health problems started when humans discovered agriculture and started to be able to live in bigger groups. Also grains have been bred out of recognition from how they started in their wild state and now many people are intolerant of those wheats, but can eat the old varieties. Apparently a lot of people don't know they are intolerant and experience health problems. That said, I'm not about to give up on grains myself. I love my sour dough bread and I eat rice, pasta, and so on with great enjoyment.
I know that paleos believe that this is a far healthier lifestyle, but as an archaeologist and historian I question the overall impact on grain eating given that most minor diseases, toothache, cuts, woulds etc would have been more likely to kill you given the lack of medical care etc. Cancer, a nasty disease at the best of times would have been horrendous without any medication. Even an untreated cut would quickly go infectious and someone would die of blood poisoning. I know the 'ancients' did have some knowledge (we saw Utzi in Bolzano earlier this year and he had a rudimentary medical kit), but aren't we overstating the grain issue perhaps? People adapt to changes in diet over the years, some, like coeliacs would have been permanently sick and would have died a lot sooner. Diseases spread a lot quicker once people started to live in larger groups which would have compounded the problem too.

Hunter gatherers ate no grain, and by 15,000BP people were starting to cultivate grains, slow adaptation would have taken place, after all, we are still evolving.

I agree with Sallyo, what we are eating today bears no relation to the original grains, emmet etc.
All things in moderation is my motto, if it doesn't agree with you, don't eat it. The article I posted which is scientifically referenced relates to the misinformation that has grown up around phytic acid and its role in upsetting peoples' digestive systems. It appears that it's role as the 'bad guy' only appears in developing countries where people have a very limited diet which will therefore affect their nutrient intake.

There, that's my take on it anyway!!!! If you like it and it doesn't kill you or cause too many tummy ructions, enjoy it!
18 posts Page 2 of 2