The FastDay Forum

The Foodies Corner

45 posts Page 2 of 3
Re: Your local food speciality
15 Nov 2013, 22:56
wendyjane wrote:
Merlin wrote: Cheshire Cheese and salt!

Hey, @Merlin, do you happen to know why Lewis Carroll called his cat the Cheshire cat? Just wondering.

Hi, @wendyjane, I don't live far from Daresbury, the Cheshire village where Lewis Carroll grew up and where his father was rector. The parish church actually has a stained glass window of a Cheshire cat. I didn't know the origin of it either but googled this info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat

So no we know! :wink:
16 Nov 2013, 00:51
I don't think there are any specialities in Tas apart from the amazing seafood, scallops, crayfish etc. the gorgeous cherries and berries and speciality cheeses.

However, when we were in Vancouver earlier in the year many people were eating a disgusting looking concoction called poutine, chips (french fries), smothered in gravy and curd cheese! Heart attack on a plate by the looks of it!

Equally bizarre were the Spam sushi in Hawaii and a mix of rice with gravy and Spam and fried egg on the top, can't remember what that one was called as I didn't go near it!

We did live in Gloucester for a few years though, home of beautiful Double Gloucester cheese, and the cheese rolling!!
16 Nov 2013, 01:08
@Debs I think poutine is from Quebec--I've never tried it myself.

Here in upstate NY there's something we usually call "white hot dogs" Formal name: Hoffman's Snappy Grillers from Syracuse. These are actually white and taste nothing like red smoked hot dogs. The spicing is completely different, including nutmeg. They were my favorites in childhood, still are, (although I find them a little too salty and spicy, now) and are now the favorites of one of my grandsons. All picnics in our family must include both red and white hots.
16 Nov 2013, 02:15
I would have thought Tasmania is a Mecca of wonderful food, Deb. OH has just come home with a pack of succulent strawberries from the local strawberry farm. I know strawberries are grown all over the temperate world, but I have never tasted the like of these! And then there's new pink eye potatoes , and don't get me started on what I can pick in my own garden right now!
16 Nov 2013, 05:00
You are quite right Sallyo, I didn't quite express myself properly! I meant lots of beautiful fresh produce but I couldn't think of any strange confections like Dagwood dogs!!
16 Nov 2013, 05:07
What about 'jelly slice'?
16 Nov 2013, 05:28
No, saw that one in Victorian bakeries, same with fairy bread and other weird cake like things! And now I'm going to get all the Australians onto me telling me how wonderful they are :wink:
16 Nov 2013, 06:46
Somebody please explain fairy bread and fairy cake..
16 Nov 2013, 07:28
Debs wrote: However, when we were in Vancouver earlier in the year many people were eating a disgusting looking concoction called poutine, chips (french fries), smothered in gravy and curd cheese! Heart attack on a plate by the looks of it!

Poutine is a Quebecois dish and while it's not the healthiest thing around, it's delicious! And the perfect late-night meal after a few (or many) drinks.

Melbourne food is, well, a mix of everything. It's a very foodie place, but I can't think of anything specific to Melbourne.

Aussie food specialities generally though - Vegemite!! I hate it but I blame that on the fact that I wasn't born here. I reckon it makes a difference.
16 Nov 2013, 07:31
I couldn't live without vegemite.
16 Nov 2013, 07:33
wendyjane wrote: Somebody please explain fairy bread and fairy cake..

Fairy bread is basically white bread with butter or marg and covered in 100s and 1000s. It's a weird childhood thing that, for some reason, people look back on fondly instead of thinking 'what on EARTH were we thinking?!?!' :bugeyes:
16 Nov 2013, 07:37
@MelbMandy, now I'm really confused (and LOL also, of course). Nothing like defining something in terms of something else I haven't heard of - 100s and 1000s?
I'm guessing sprinkles, in my language...
In which case, yes, pretty gross...
16 Nov 2013, 07:42
Some rather odd images here @wendyjane but you get the picture!!

What interesting regional food we all have! I've been fascinated!
16 Nov 2013, 07:48
When you all come to visit me in Colorado, I'll take you to the Celestial Seasonings tea factory, where you can not only watch the tea being bagged and the boxes assembled, but also go into the mint room, where they store the mint. It is so intense that you literally can't stay in it more than a few seconds!
16 Nov 2013, 08:34
Barley (to cook like rice)
Different pastries like "le fromage Beauceron" which is not cheese, it's made of marzipan and pralin, "le Dunois" made of meringue macaroon, vanilla cream and brioche with kirsch liqueur

http://www.tourisme-chateaudun.fr/way-of-life-p92.html
45 posts Page 2 of 3