The FastDay Forum

Forum News & Announcements

5 posts Page 1 of 1
Additional features :)
06 Apr 2013, 21:18
Hi all,

Well I'm still working on the new recipes section and it is coming along well although not as quickly as I'd like.

Tonight I've decided to add a few new features, two of which I have now finished setting up and the third of which I am about to do!

• News Page (link along the top bar) - this will display the latest topics from the 'read first' forum in a blog/news style layout. I'm hoping to find a way to hide/remove the forum itself to free up a bit of space on the home page.
  • Username/Password reminder form - I've been dealing with quite a few emails from users who have forgotten their usernames! Passwords weren't a problem because of the 'forgot your password?' option on the login page. I've now added a modification which allows users to retrieve their username and reset their password simply by supplying their email address :)
  • Similar Topics List - will be installing this one next. When viewing a topic the bottom of the page will display a list of similar topics, which hopefully will help users to find answers to commonly asked questions etc.

There are a couple of other modifications I'm looking at installing but will have to look into them a bit more first!

Time to install the Similar Topics List now, then back to coding the Recipes area.
Re: Additional features :)
06 Apr 2013, 23:34
Great stuff Moogie! I think we had better come up with some more news though cos some items are a bit old! Could we include the announcements in there too?

The similar thread function relies on title words so for example the similar threads generated for a thread entitled "feeling depressed about weight loss" will include "feeling happy" or "feeling sick" which are not necessary relevant. I still think it's a good idea though...
06 Apr 2013, 23:41
Will certainly try to post news more often :) Primarily it's here for the purposes of any additions/changes to the forums or if we need help/volunteers for anything!

The similar threads may be a little less relevant in some cases yes, but I checked a number of topics and it seemed good enough :) If nothing else it may point people to other interesting threads.

Not sure about how we can include the global announcements on the news page as they don't exist in a particular forum as such and the news mod just pulls topics out of selected forums. Will see if there's some way to do so though!
06 Apr 2013, 23:44
You say the news comes from the read first forum but that seems to have disappeared on my browser...is it hidden?
07 Apr 2013, 09:00
Yes, I found that I could hide it and still have the topics on the news page. Makes the home page a bit tidier I think :)
5 posts Page 1 of 1