The FastDay Forum

5:2 Diet Recipes

7 posts Page 1 of 1
Pao’s asparagus soup.
Use the thin green asparagus. They are less “woody” than the thicker ones so there is less waste. Servings: 4 x 1¼ cups.

2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1lb (450g) fresh asparagus, washed, bottom ends cut off, cut into 1in (2.5cm) pieces
1 tbsp butter or margarine
1 medium onion, chopped
½ tbsp flour
½ cup evaporated skimmed milk
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Bring the broth to a boil in medium sauce pan. Add the asparagus. Return to a boil and cook for 3 minutes. Set aside.
Melt the butter or margarine in a small pan, add the onions and sauté until soft but not browned (approximately 3 minutes). Add the flour and the milk (slowly) mix well and continue cooking on a lower flame until the liquid starts to thicken.
Add the flour mixture to the asparagus and simmer for 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Puree until velvety using an immersion blender or food processor and serve hot.

Per serve
400kJ/96 calories; 5g protein; 3g fat (includes 2g saturated fat); 13g available carbs; 3g fibre
Thanks for sharing. I"m always looking for new things to try.
Thanks for the recipe. I have some asparagus in my fridge that I have no clue what to do with!
I can't figure out how you got 96 calories from this recipe. The entire recipe is close to 900 calories. What do you think?
Don't know where you got 900 calories from, just did a quick check online and everything seems relatively low in calories (aside perhaps from the butter) even all that asparagus only has around 110 cals in it - the recipe should make 4 servings according to the author, so I should think under 100 cals for a mugful is correct.
dgibson wrote: I can't figure out how you got 96 calories from this recipe. The entire recipe is close to 900 calories. What do you think?

Hi dgibson,

I went on to calrorieking.com, and came up with 383 calories for the entire recipe. 20 for the broth, 91 for the asparagus, 48 for the onion, 102 for the butter, 14 for the flour and 108 for the evaporated skimmed milk. I didn't count salt and pepper.
Hi Moogie...I actually use a calorie counter I found on this blog http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php

I copied and pasted your recipe and I got 913 calories...what calorie counter do you use?
7 posts Page 1 of 1