The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

3 posts Page 1 of 1
I think that it is good that the progress tracker allows you enter your body fat percentage which is fine if you are using a set of scales which shows the body fat percentage, or some other means of estimating the body fat percentage. I have a set of scales that shows my body fat percentage, but my scales overestimate that by quite a lot and for me, it is better to use the formula that is shown here to get a more appropriate estimate for my body fat percentage.

However, the current progress tracker system requires me to calculate that manually before entering the result of that calculation. It would therefore be much better if there was an option for that calculation to be made automatically without me having to do that manually beforehand. I believe that this could be done by making the stats form more interactive so that once a user has entered enough info, an estimate of the body fat percentage would then be shown by default as calculated by the formula in the above link.

The formula that has been used for that would then be clearly described but if the user wanted to enter their own body fat percentage from their set of scales (or whatever), they would still be able to override that default calculated value with their own data. To me, that would certainly improve the entering of the body fat percentage by quite a lot.
This is interesting but I was curious in that it doesn't take in height, is that because it uses bone structure (wrist measurement)? I'm 27.2% body fat which puts me in acceptable range though personally I'm aiming for 132 lbs so I'll have to see what body fat % this gives me when I get there ... sometime next year! lol
According to this article, there is also another formula for body fat percentage which takes in your BMI and age, and that will take in your height which is used in addition to your weight in order to calculate your BMI. Anyone using this site would probably be most likely to use the adult formula in this case which can therefore be re-written as:-

BF% = (1.20 x weight in kg / (height in meters x height in meters)) + (0.23 x age) - (10.8 x sex) - 5.4

where sex = 1 for male and 0 for female, and since BMI = weight in kg / (height in meters x height in meters).

In my case, that formula overestimates my body fat percentage even more than my scales and since BMI isn't always a good indicator for good/bad health anyway, I wouldn't really see that formula as being a very good one either for that reason. However, that is another formula which could be used if the user chose to do so. In terms of the progress tracker, you could therefore have some some form of radio box where the user could choose whether or not they wanted to use one of those formulae and if they do, which formula they wanted to use.
3 posts Page 1 of 1