The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

13 posts Page 1 of 1
I noticed this too and have literally just made the change to my profile to allow for BST.
Go to your User Control Panel - Board Preferences and change the Summertime/DST option to Yes.

A kindly suggestion to any moderators - would it make more since for new users to have this setting default to Yes (if most users are UK, Oz based)?
Hi kencc, as skippy has explained you have to change it manually. Yes before you say it I agree it is stupid that it isn't automatic but it's not my fault (nor Moogie's). :smile:

Go into your User Control Panel, then Board Preferences, then you will see the Summer Time/DST option.

Changes to what happens for new members are way above the pay grade of us mods, skippy. Moogie can do anything though!
Thought this was a reference to the weather!! What has happened to summertime? Where I am it's raining, windy and cold :curse:
There may be a modification to automatically update this for users, but it's not a simple matter because different countries around the world implement summertime/dst at different times and some countries have done away with the clock change completely!

I don't think I can change the user default for new signups, but the board itself is set to currently being summertime in the admin panel...
Moogie wrote: There may be a modification to automatically update this for users, but it's not a simple matter because different countries around the world implement summertime/dst at different times

sure, but that's all known about by the add-ins that do the change, surely ? ie you select your country / region / time zone in the profile and the rules are known - if Microsoft can mange it on Windows it can't be even difficult.
Not sure if the add-ons would have permission to look at your computer/browser language settings, may be an issue of privacy? It's not something I've really investigated much but I'll try to look into it at some point. I would be a bit concerned about a web site being able to access/check my settings.
Don't think it would need to do that Moogie. It just needs to know (from our Profile) our location so that it can work out our timezone (which it knows already: User Control Panel / Board Preferences) and it can work out our DST status.

The problem as I understand it is that the phpBB standard timezone settings are not sufficiently granular to take full account of DST settings across the whole world i.e. within some timezones there are different DST rules depending on where you are within the zone.

I thought that was addressed by one of the mods you found but it would require all our locations to be set (by you) based on our current timezone settings and then in some (probably very rare) cases users might need to further modify them because the location settings might be wrong for them within the timezone (giving rise to a DST error).

Hope I am making sense!
Leaving everyone on Zulu/UTC probably makes more sense than changing stuff for summertime/daylight saving. I was coping OK, anyway...
Problem there is Dom that not everyone sets their location in their profile. Will have to take another look at that mod, it's all fallen out of my brain. Think for the most part it is simpler to allow users to choose their own timezone settings as and when needed.
When I first joined and set my profile, I was given the option to choose my timezone and then clicked yes for the auto summertime/DST. It's mostly just reading what options are available and clicking what is appropriate. Not difficult as is now.
Hi Betsysgr8, the problem is that there is no 'automatic' DST/BST setting. Instead each of us has to change it manually twice a year, or just accept that the times on the forum are one hour wrong for half the year...
Shouldn't the question be "what happened to Summer"? The sky is so grey and the air is so chilly that it feels like autumn, not spring... :-(
Moogie wrote: I would be a bit concerned about a web site being able to access/check my settings.

That boat sailed long ago - have a look at http://www.mybrowserinfo.com/detail.asp

Connection Speed:
4.99 Mbps
Restrictive Firewall:
No
Local Date/Time:
Wed 17 Apr 2013 09:40:49 BST
Language:
English
13 posts Page 1 of 1