The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

13 posts Page 1 of 1
Image Uploader
03 May 2013, 13:44
An image uploader mod such as this one would make it much easier for people to upload images and make the forums more colourful! This one doesn't use any of the precious server bandwidth because the images are stored elsewhere, and it's free...
Re: Image Uploader
03 May 2013, 13:58
Thanks Dom :) Bandwidth isn't an issue - we've got oodles of bandwidth to spare, even on the new server we'll have 3000GB which is about 10x what we currently use. The problem we had with avatars was the method of file-serving on phpBB, loading via a script for security purposes. We may be able to reinstated that on the new server.

Folks can already upload images with their posts (and can display them inline easily with the click of a button on the attachment options), so I'm not really sure what this addon would achieve?
03 May 2013, 14:07
Moogie wrote: Folks can already upload images with their posts (and can display them inline easily with the click of a button on the attachment options), so I'm not really sure what this addon would achieve?

But hardly anyone does, and attachments are even rarer. AFAIK the only way to upload an image directly is as an attachment and that then fixes what is seen to a thumbnail size.

Posters can do this themselves, albeit less easily, by visiting http://postimg.org, uploading the image(s) and then looking underneath the images, making the preferred selections from the dropdown boxes, copying to clipboard and pasting into the post here, and they should appear in 'Preview' and in the final submission. Example of what you see when you come to make selections is below. Sorry for the hot X-rated images :wink: :
03 May 2013, 14:10
Just testing out attachments added inline...
5-2_lasagne.jpg
03 May 2013, 14:11
Hmmm, am sure that should display as full size when inline. Probably haven't ticked the right box for that. I'll check on the admin panel. I'm sure at my other forum they come up full size when inline :)

Not really sure I see much difference with the attachments as they are and the http://postimage.org/mod.php site though - seems to work in much the same way. They click a link below their post entry box to add images (here it's labelled 'upload attachment'), select an image to upload and place in their post as a thumbnail - albeit a slightly bigger thumbnail on the other site. What am I not seeing that's different? :)
03 May 2013, 14:18
your pic comes up full size when I click on it Moogie - that's good enough for me :smile:
03 May 2013, 14:33
Another test, turned thumbnails off so maybe they'll come up full-size in post now?
phoebeflies.jpg
phoebeflies.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 430 times
03 May 2013, 14:35
And another test...

feebs3.jpg
That's no fish!

(placed inline)
03 May 2013, 14:40
Bigger thumbnails are nice :)
03 May 2013, 14:47
OK just testing...
1964 D.jpg

It works! Yes if you choose to attach a file, upload it and then click on 'place inline' it appears 'properly'. Thanks Moogie!
03 May 2013, 14:55
It may still scale the image down a bit if it's too wide, but you can then click to view the full version still :)
03 May 2013, 14:58
Oooh, just enabled a nice feature I didn't know the Afterburner theme had - a built in lightbox for viewing the full sized photos. Very nice!
03 May 2013, 15:28
Yes the lightbox is cool, and the autoscaling is neat too. Thank you.
13 posts Page 1 of 1