The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

11 posts Page 1 of 1
Tagging
29 May 2013, 10:10
I was wondering if it would be possible to have some sort of 'tag' facility like on Facebook so that we can draw someone's attention to a post. For example, I said to someone yesterday ref 18:6 that Ballerina would be along shortly to give advice (as I see her as the 16:8 queen) but unless Ballerina happens to see that post then she won't be able to give her wisdom.
Hope that makes sense
Thanks
Re: Tagging
29 May 2013, 10:14
There is a tagging add on I believe, but I've not had a good look at it yet. I agree it could be very handy!
29 May 2013, 10:36
Wendy you could always send Ballerina a PM of course...

Although I know of the ability to 'bookmark' a topic but this isn't much use practically. I would like it if there was a way to mark a topic as if it was one that I had already posted on, so that it would appear in the 'View your posts' list.
29 May 2013, 10:59
That's a good idea Dominic, but I was thinking more of making it public. For example if you wanted to draw a posters attention to someone else's tracker. I had a very interesting conversation with someone today and we were barging in on someone else's thread. We started to go off topic so we did end up pm'ing. It's great here, so friendly.
29 May 2013, 11:09
Wendy Darling wrote: That's a good idea Dominic, but I was thinking more of making it public.

Not quite sure how that would work though. How about a system to make it easier to send PMs, for instance a little icon link next to each poster's name which starts a PM to them in a new tab if you click it? (Though I suppose it is only two clicks now - once to their public profile and then on 'Send private message', I only just realised that...)

Wendy Darling wrote: we were barging in on someone else's thread. We started to go off topic

Sorry, as I am starting to do... :wink:

Another thing I would like is to be able to switch on having pop-ups if there are replies on one of 'your posts'. I know we got rid of the option to have emails every time there is a reply to 'your posts' because it overloaded the server and they were too slow to get through anyway, but pop-ups wouldn't have this problem, and they work well I think for PMs.
29 May 2013, 11:33
There's already a button to PM a user on the left, below the stats etc :)

I know notifications are a much sought-after feature but they aren't available in phpBB. Apparently they are in development for the next major release but until then there doesn't seem to be anything which will offer a popup notice for replies to posts. Ajax notifications would be ideal, unfortunately this is also not available for the current phpBB release (there is a nice demo available for the feature which will be implemented in the next major release, unfortunately there's no way to tack this on to the current version). We would need to change forum systems to get these features by default, and while I don't mind paying out for the new software I wish I had done this earlier rather than listening to everyone saying "don't change!' - it would have been much easier to port everything over before this place got so heavily modified!
29 May 2013, 11:43
Moogie wrote: There's already a button to PM a user on the left, below the stats etc

Doh! Well, I learned something...
Moogie wrote: notifications are a much sought-after feature but they aren't available in phpBB

It was just a thought...
Moogie wrote: I wish I had done this earlier rather than listening to everyone saying "don't change!"

Yes most goddesses are much more arbitrary, but we like it that you listen to our prayers... :wink:
29 May 2013, 11:54
I'm here folks, I'm always here! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Wendy Darling, thank you for elevating me to Royalty status, :lol: :grin: :lol: it was just a stroke of luck that I went onto the site last night after night out. You noticed that I had taken the time to compile a list of threads as I seem to be repeating myself, which I don't mind doing but I am probably boring everyone else with the same old, same old! I shall use that list again for any other inquiries so, feel free to refer to it again.

Ballerina x :heart:
29 May 2013, 11:59
May have found a (relatively basic) notification system, development of which seems to have been abandoned years ago but it looks simple enough to add on and may be useful. Will look at it later on, gotta pop out to the shops first :)
29 May 2013, 15:28
Lol Ballerina, I did see today that you had responded to that thread last night. I know what you mean about seeming repetitive, I feel like that too, but with new people joining all the time, old topics aren't easily found if you don quite know what you're looking for. I certainly will point people to those posts, they are invaluable. By the way, as you probably know, I have been annoyed about a 2lb weight gain this week and not being able to fast very easily because of a change to routine this week. Guess what? Been on 16:8 this week and have lost 1 of those pesky lbs.
Thank you Dominic and thank you Moogie for listening to our repeated requests for the next thing. You are so patient and so clever :smile:
29 May 2013, 16:34
No worries Wendy, it's what we're here for :)

Dom - I tried the notifications mod, unfortunately it didn't work and it looks like the author only ever set it up to pop up an ajax notification of new PMs anyway, so not much use in its current state. No dev on it for years either :(

Will look into tagging stuff now and see how much tweaking is required for it.
11 posts Page 1 of 1