The FastDay Forum

Suggestion Box

10 posts Page 1 of 1
Donate your dinner?
01 Jul 2013, 13:44
*sticks head above parapet*

It is something I've been thinking of and wondering it there is any support for starting a 'Just Giving' page for this forum, to donate the cost of your uneaten lunches/dinner during your fast days.

I realise that, in these lean times (both financially and bodily!!) it may be an idea that doesn't go anywhere, but I thought I'd voice it anyway.

We could choose a charity that aims to help underprivileged children - thinking the likes of Oxfam here.

What do you think?

Suggestions?

I've never set up such a page, but believe it's quite straightforward.
Re: Donate your dinner?
01 Jul 2013, 13:53
I think I mentioned this in a thread some weeks ago but didn't really get much feedback (or perhaps I forgot to check on the thread again).

I was thinking something like a food bank charity if there is one, or maybe Shelterbox - but we could choose a different charity every couple of months or so.

Was trying to think of a catchy name for it -
"Lose, Save, Give"
"Shrink, save, give"
"Lose weight, give life"
"Pounds for Pounds"?
suggestions welcome & I'm happy to set up a Justgiving page etc

edit - found the thread... looks like the topic evolved/digressed somewhat...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5746&p=61166&hilit=charity#p61166
03 Jul 2013, 10:00
Giving this a little bump as it hasn't had replies - and deserves some! :)
04 Jul 2013, 17:06
Saw this on Tesco today
http://foodcollection.tesco.com/together
and thought I'd check JustGiving to see if the charity Trussell Trust is available for donations...
http://www.justgiving.com/trusselltrust
could be a good one for us to contribute to?

Or maybe
http://www.justgiving.com/thefoodbank
04 Jul 2013, 17:31
I'd really be in favour of donating to a food bank - I love it when they collect outside the supermarkets here, as its so easy to buy some extra things, and give it to them when you leave. But I understand thats hard for the charities to resource with volunteers, so online donation would be ideal :heart:
04 Jul 2013, 17:38
I think it's an excellent idea - I already donate to a local charity that helps folks in need in m area but I'm sure I could scrape together something to chip in.

One reason I was keen to start doing 5:2 was the price of food - my shopping bills just seem to keep getting higher. I can't say that so far I have managed to trim them down all that much (even though 2 days a week I barely eat anything!), but then in the last few weeks I seem to have had events to cater for/cakes to make etc etc so it all adds up. I know that many people will be inadvertently fasting without a choice due to the cost of food (maybe only having one meal a day or choosing to feed their children over themselves). It makes me realise how much I am really just 'playing' at being hungry - I will always have food in the cupboards should I need it and I know I can eat well tomorrow. Many people in this country, even in my (relatively affluent) city, are genuinely hungry and have very little to eat and have not much more hope for tomorrow.
04 Jul 2013, 19:03
Thanks for this, it has motivated me to donate some money to the local foodbank. I'm based in the Netherlands and would prefer to have local people benefit, I hope this counts as well! But thanks for inspiring me and good luck with this positive idea!
04 Jul 2013, 20:07
I would be happy to donate to a foodbank or charity. I think it is an excellent idea. Can you have an ongoing Just Giving page so you could put some money into it once a month or every six months or something like that?
04 Jul 2013, 21:13
I'll look into setting us up a just giving page asap :)
What shall we call our charity drive?
04 Jul 2013, 21:30
Giving to a food bank is a great idea! I like your suggestions for a name Moogie, how about just a small tweak with "Lose weight, give hope"?
10 posts Page 1 of 1