The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

55 posts Page 3 of 4
Re: Ditching The Microwave
23 Oct 2013, 13:15
Hey Winsome

I see you are from East kent, I am too in Deal! :-)
23 Oct 2013, 13:53
To me microwaved food, in comparison with food heated on the stove, just doesn't taste "right". Also it's getting cold (from very hot) too quickly.

The very question whether microwaves are good for us or not rings an alarm bell in my head. Nobody questions gas or even electric hobs.

I know there are countless sites on the internet at either side of the fence. However, I found this article interesting: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... zards.aspx
23 Oct 2013, 18:52
Suchard007 wrote: syrup sponge puddings - which take about 6 minutes (result!).

Couldn't agree more, Suchard, it's brilliant for sponge puds.

And it's also very useful for cakes: cakes made in a microwave rise much better than those made in a conventional oven. So much so that I had to buy a bigger silicon cake former to accommodate the extra rise. When I make a cake at my daughter's, who has no microwave, I'm always disappointed at how it turns out.

I've got several examples on my blog - chocolate cake, parkin and carrot cake. It's a no brainer, really - 6-8 minutes in a microwave as against 35-40 minutes in the oven (plus ten minutes warm-up time).

Edited to apologise to the OP for taking the thread off-piste. :oops:
23 Oct 2013, 21:13
It has been useful reading all of the various arguments on this thread, both for and against ditching the microwave altogether. I went to make some mince in my microwave, with some veg (but without any potatoes since I'm cutting back on my carb intake), but my pure old microwave really isn't up to the task anymore.

However, I also discovered how easy it is to cook mince in the microwave, and I also have a lot of dishes that are specifically for the purpose of microwave cooking, and which would just end up becoming redundant if I didn't have my trusty old microwave. In the end, that is what I have given in to and so, I have now just ordered a new microwave online and that should be delivered to me on Friday (this is where I'm glad that I will be on another 16:8 day then, so that I don't have to cook any breakfast, which in turn makes that a time where a microwave won't be needed).
23 Oct 2013, 21:55
I know there are countless sites on the internet at either side of the fence. However, I found this article interesting: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... zards.aspx

I have rethought using my microwave - I have read this article previously and have been considering the possible loss of nutrients and the changes in food structures when food is microwaved.
I'm lightly steaming my vegetables and find the colour flavour and texture so much nicer and really it takes hardly any more time than using the microwave.
24 Oct 2013, 01:13
Marie2mil wrote:

I have rethought using my microwave - I have read this article previously and have been considering the possible loss of nutrients and the changes in food structures when food is microwaved.
I'm lightly steaming my vegetables and find the colour flavour and texture so much nicer and really it takes hardly any more time than using the microwave.

Thanks Marie. Used your link to this website and have just spent over an hour cruising around it! Lots of interesting articles. I think I will become a regular reader. :like:
24 Oct 2013, 01:15
I have a really tiny tiny one .. very cheap just for the melting and heating function. Doesnt take up much room in the kitchen and all i need. Its convenient enough that if it ever broke down id by a replacement.
24 Oct 2013, 02:06
I hardly use mine, but it's convenient for a few things. Mostly I just reheat leftovers - maybe use it once a week. My last one died a few years ago, and I wasn't going to replace it - but then about two months later I decided I really did miss it. So I got a cheaper, smaller one.
24 Oct 2013, 17:18
Apart from peas, I rarely cook veg in the microwave. I do prefer to steam them. My three tier stove-top steamer is probably one of my my best used kitchen gadgets. Used every day for one thing or another. If I'm cooking other veg at the time, I often steam the peas as wells, but usually I'm just cooking them for hubby long after everyone else has eaten. I had an electric steamer but hated it!

Another vote for micro-steamed puds though :like:
24 Oct 2013, 18:30
I have a wood burning Esse that I use on all but very hot days. I also have a halogen oven for when it is too hot to light the Esse. I have a microwave for doing my morning porridge and heating the milk for hubby's coffee. I never eat oven chips or processed food. I have never cooked with microwave and am never likely to. I think when the current microwave dies I will not bother replacing it. I enjoy cooking and feeding others, somehow it doesn't feel right to cook with a microwave.
24 Oct 2013, 22:24
04 Nov 2013, 15:19
2 new ways for me to use the microwave. First I discovered it makes delicious and tasty scrambled eggs in 2 minutes and it seems you can also make lemon curd in a few minutes that way. I'll tasted it tonight or tomorrow :wink:
05 Nov 2013, 07:21
Just an update about the lemon curd, I made it last night and the verdict is, I am in big big trouble because the hardest thing will be to stay away from that jar.... :eat: :heart:

Defenitly not suitable on fast days :razz:
05 Nov 2013, 08:20
Thanks Manderley. I regularly make scrambled eggs in the microwave, but please share the lemon curd recipe. Thanks
05 Nov 2013, 08:38
I would not be without my microwave for all sorts of things, but a big favourite is my vegetable pots. I got the idea from the expensive ones you can buy in supermarkets with the veggies cut up small and arranged in layer. It means each one of us can have their own preferred veg.
Last night my pot had shredded leeks, sugar snap peas, sliced mushroom, baby corn and asparagus tips, all cut up quite small, and seasoned with salt and pepper with a drizzle of olive oil over the top. 2min 40 sec on medium and it was done, OH had his own pot with some broccoli on top and Son had one with just Leeks and carrots.
The vegetables steam in their own juices and you can get a lovely selection on your plate without using lots of pans and taking up space on the hob.
55 posts Page 3 of 4