The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

55 posts Page 1 of 4
Ditching The Microwave
20 Oct 2013, 07:29
I realise that I am above to discuss something which has never been discussed before on this forum (at least, I couldn't find anything in the search results for that topic) and so, this should be a really interesting discussion. For countless years, I have used my trusty old microwave oven for things like heating up ready-made meals and microwaveable chips, as well for things like bacon, baked potatoes, and even the scrambled eggs that I have for breakfast.

Now that I have been living a healthier lifestyle though, I have been cutting out the ready-made meals and microwaveable chips and since I'm also trying to cut down on my carbs, I'm also cutting out the potatoes and replacing that with some veg which can be easily heated on the stove. If I want some bacon, it is easy to grill that and my scrambled eggs can also be made on the stove.

That might seem like more work but let's say I'm struggling to lose weight and decide to try 16/8 by skipping breakfast and only eating between 12 noon and 8pm. If I have the microwave at hand and don't feel motivated for that 16/8 regime, it would be too easy to reach out for the microwave first thing in the morning for my bacon, eggs and so on.

However, I might not necessarily feel like doing that extra work first thing in the morning to make my bacon and eggs if I don't have the microwave at hand. If that were the case, I would then be more likely to skip breakfast anyway which would actually make sticking to that 16/8 regime a lot easier. Furthermore, I have read on many sites that cooking with the microwave actually takes out a lot of the essential nutrients such as vitamins from foods and not having the microwave at hand, would also encourage us to get more into cooking food as it is meant to be prepared.

That way, it then also becomes a lot easier to manage our portion sizes as well since since all of the ingredients for the food that are cooking, are being more carefully measured out. I am gradually trying to wean myself towards cooking more of my meals from scratch since that is said to be the healthiest way to go about preparing our food, which also means that we can use more in the way of natural ingredients instead of processed foods.

I bought my microwave back in 2004 and it is now on its last legs. For me, this might therefore be a good time to think about saving money by not replacing my microwave and using those alternative cooking methods that I have just described. It would therefore be interesting to hear about whether anyone on this forum has had any similar experiences of ditching their microwave and then finding that they haven't really missed it.
Re: Ditching The Microwave
20 Oct 2013, 07:43
Sounds like a good move. I have one and don't use it (about five yrs now) ever since I saw those before and after shots of microwaved foods taken by kirlian photography. Oven chips are quick to cook and are OH Friday night treat. Best investment I made was a cast iron griddle pan (the ones with the ridges on). Nice if you like to have something with a bit of "char" on every now and then, eg chicken breast or steak.
20 Oct 2013, 08:18
I use mine quite a lot. To steam vegs, heat milk or water, cook some lean meat. I really couldn't live without it. Plus, it's also a grill so it double its use. Not for ready made food however as I cook all myself and can't eat process food.
20 Oct 2013, 08:28
My microwave is used to warm up plates, heat up milk, occasionally to steam frozen veg bags.
20 Oct 2013, 08:28
Hmm interesting debate. When my last microwave bit the dust we pondered whether to replace it, but as the days went by we really missed it's usefulness, and being quicker and cheaper to heat food than gas, so we did replace it.
It's also useful to prop my iPad on to stand to read and write this!
20 Oct 2013, 08:36
I use mine a lot too, and as it's a combination one with oven included I couldn't ditch it as I wouldn't be able to cook LOL.

We don't ever buy ready meals or chips etc, but I use it a lot to steam vegetables or defrost or reheat things, and I've actually read in a lot of places that microwave cooking keeps lots vitamins and nutrients in veggies. That said if I had a bigger kitchen and a real oven with a proper stove top I could do without it!

Anyway, would be interested to see how you get on!
20 Oct 2013, 08:44
Hi john,good idea in general i think..dont really trust microwaves but use it to heat steam bags of veg like others have said..tho i suppose i could get a steamer
The little bags of veg are so convenient tho andmakes it easy to keep veg intake high x
20 Oct 2013, 08:46
My "proper" oven is not so great so cooking with a combination cooking saves time (15 minutes instead of 30 or 40) and money. And it really works great.
20 Oct 2013, 08:53
When ours died a death, I bought a small halogen oven instead. It's fantastic just for the two of us.
For big family meals, we still have a big oven, but it's rarely used now.
We have a microwave in the caravan, which we thought would be really useful, but we have hardly used it this year.
We're starting to use the little slow cooker more as Autumn draws on.
20 Oct 2013, 08:54
My son tends to use our microwave more than us but it is handy at times. My favourite kitchen 'gadgets' are my slow cooker and halogen oven, both in frequent use.
20 Oct 2013, 08:57
I have a small slow cooker but really don't see the use of it. I don't have the patience to put my food to cook 8hours before a meal...
20 Oct 2013, 09:07
Since I stopped eating breakfast (porridge done in the microwave) mine gets used as a bread bin and extra shelf!
20 Oct 2013, 09:14
Manderley wrote: I have a small slow cooker but really don't see the use of it. I don't have the patience to put my food to cook 8hours before a meal...

I suppose you do need to plan in advance but I find it great for soups and if we're going to be out all day there's nothing better than coming home starving to the smell of a chilli or curry ready to demolish! :razz:
20 Oct 2013, 09:16
I have a microwave on our boat (we live on it all year) and at first I used it to cook scrambled eggs, porage, make scones and buns, bacon etc but then we had a problem as our batteries were getting old and we had to conserve the power for the navigation instruments so for the past 3 years it has been used to store the microwaveable containers. Similarly I only use the oven to make cakes so that is also a store for metal cookware!

It's amazing what can be cooked on the hob and of course it saves a lot of gas/electric. Not really into using a slow cooker as we don't eat meat and I also prefer to be able to control casseroles etc.
20 Oct 2013, 09:18
Hi John If I was slightly more organised I would happily get rid of my microwave. The only thing I ever use it for is to defrost meat. If I was organised and actually worked out in the morning what we were having for dinner each night I wouldn't need it. Mind you once I am finally an empty nester I would then know how many people were here for dinner so I could be more prepared. I am a traditionalist and use my stovetop and oven to cook all my veggies and reheat leftovers. Good luck and try without for a while and see how it goes.
55 posts Page 1 of 4