The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

27 posts Page 1 of 2
Is quinoa good for you?
01 Oct 2013, 09:03
Im on a journey to discover new foods. not necessarily low cal but healthy

is quinoa a good thing to start adding to our diets.

wiki says how it grows and everyting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

and i stumbled on this recipe from a lady that does a neat vegan/gluten-free blog and facebok

it looks good... http://kitchentonirvana.com/2013/07/23/ ... ate-salad/

i love pomegranate too.
Re: Is quinoa good for you?
01 Oct 2013, 11:45
I really like quinoa. It's supposed to be a "super food". A plant that is also a complete protein. You can use it like rice or in a salad like the recipe you found. I've used it as a Bircher muesli instead of oats.
A great addition to a healthy diet.
01 Oct 2013, 12:03
I read somewhere that it is alkaline. :like: And its a seed rather than a grain which can be useful for those avoiding :like: and lowish carb :like: I'm not a great fan but coincidentally I made some yesterday for OH's lunch bag mixed with red rice, toasted flaked almonds or pistachios, orange zest and juice, olive oil, dried apricots, rocket, fried onions and spring onions. It's an Ottolenghi dish as I'm not clever enough to make it up on my own.
01 Oct 2013, 12:46
Yes, very good for you as it's a complete protein, a complex carb, and contains good levels of iron, b vitamins and calcium, which is unusual for a plant. My only issue with it is that because it's a super food the price has increased dramatically meaning the people who produce it can no longer afford to eat it so make sure you buy fair trade!
01 Oct 2013, 12:51
It's probably excellent, but seems very expensive for the nutritional value and taste compared to meat, dairy and old fashioned vegetables.
02 Oct 2013, 04:17
found this great collection of healthy recipes

http://justbaustralia.com.au/be-healthy ... s/#gallery

and omg ive been saying it wrong

excerpt from the link

How do you say quinoa? KEEN-wah. You say it like that. Let’s do it. ‘Keen-wah’ Good.

i could have sworn it was

KI- NO- AH

doh!
02 Oct 2013, 09:47
Thanks for the link Juliana
I have always fancied quinoa but had no idea how to cook it
I know its keenwah coz i saw someone on tv talking about it..think its a lovely word! X
02 Oct 2013, 14:16
I second what Nicky posted. That said, this is a really good recipe.

Quinoa with Latin Flavors (From RealAge Site)
Cilantro, lime and scallions lend a bright finish to delicate quinoa. This versatile side pairs well with seafood, poultry or pork.

Ingredients

* 1 cup quinoa, (see Note)
* 2 teaspoons canola oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
* 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted (see Note)
* 3/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
* 1/2 cup chopped scallions
* 2 tablespoons lime juice
* 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Toast quinoa in a large dry skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until it crackles and becomes aromatic, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a fine sieve and rinse thoroughly.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chiles and garlic; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the quinoa and broth; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer, cover and cook until the quinoa is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Add pepitas, cilantro, scallions, lime juice and salt to the quinoa; mix gently and fluff with a fork.

Nutrition Information
Per serving
Calories: 181
Carbohydrates: 27g
Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
Protein: 7g
Cholesterol: 1mg
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Potassium: 379mg
Sodium: 196mg
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value), Magnesium (23% dv), Iron (20% dv).

SERVES: 6
PREP TIME: 30 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
LEVEL: Easy
MEETS THESE GUIDELINES:
Low Calorie
Low Sat Fat
Low Sodium
Heart Healthy
Healthy Weight
Diabetes Appropriate

RECIPE TIPS:
Ingredient note: Quinoa, a delicately flavored grain that was a staple in the ancient Incas' diet, is available in most natural-foods stores and the natural-foods sections of many supermarkets. Toasting the grain before cooking enhances the flavor, and rinsing removes any residue of saponin, quinoa's natural, bitter protective coating. To toast nuts and seeds on the stovetop: Toast in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Hulled pumpkin seeds, also known as pepitas, are dusky green and have a delicate nutty flavor. They can be found in the health-food or bulk sections of many supermarkets.
02 Oct 2013, 14:24
@MichaelH it used to be cheap as chips, but it has been "discovered". Like monkfish tails, which we used to buy for sea fishing bait years ago at Billingsgate fish market.
02 Oct 2013, 14:29
I have a book by a nutritionist called Kimberly Snyder, she uses quinoa in lots of her recipes. She's a complete vegan and you might get some recipe ideas off her site/ from her book
02 Oct 2013, 21:05
CandiceMarie wrote: Thanks for the link Juliana
I have always fancied quinoa but had no idea how to cook it
I know its keenwah coz i saw someone on tv talking about it..think its a lovely word! X

I heard it too on a tv program for years, called Good Chef Bad Chef and could have sworn they were different things entirely with the one from the tv show spelt like you spelt it, when i was reading about Quinoa. anyway now i know.
02 Oct 2013, 21:47
Hehe i love yr name Juliana Rivers,such a dramatic name,can imagine someone in a big sweeping novel with a name like that or a blockbuster movie! X
02 Oct 2013, 22:06
Here's one consideration though:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... uth-quinoa

To be fair, I don't like quinoa, so not eating it is no hardship for me. I don't like nhow tiny the grains are. I like something I can chew.
02 Oct 2013, 23:00
Hi Tracie..made me sad to read that
I hate how these things happen x
13 Oct 2013, 22:35
I made this for dinner last night for my fast day. The quinoa, pumpkin and orange salad was the star of the show. Fresh, crunchy, full of flavour and just great.

I cooked quinoa for the first time. had it plain to taste before i made up the salad. not so bad but unlike rice or couscous you probably wouldnt serve it plain.

the recipe.

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/quin ... ange-salad
27 posts Page 1 of 2