The FastDay Forum

5:2 Cookery Discussion, Tips & Ideas

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Low Carb Filling Foods Please
13 Nov 2013, 18:20
On a fast day, I often make fish or chicken and vegetables, and then feed my husband (who definitely should not lose any weight) bread or crackers or tortilla chips as well. And even on non fast days, I'm trying to eat less carbs, so often don't prepare what we used to call the "starch". But he needs something filling, and won't be willing to eat another serving of protein. I think it would be good for him to eat less carbs too. He likes a low fat diet, as I do, so doesn't put dressing on his salad, doesn't eat mayonnaise, would be appalled at the idea of putting oil in his coffee (sorry, I think that's pretty disgusting, too). He does love chocolate, but sadly, I think that counts as a carb...

We both like nuts a lot, so I'm offering more of those. But what else can you suggest, both as part of a meal and as a snack?
I don't get it, you want us to suggest something "filling" low carb without fat or protein?

Ehm.., I really don't think that's even theoretically possible. Veggies of course, but you'll never find it very filling. Probably there's some kind of drug out there, but there would likely be considerable side effects, perhaps worth it for those really picky with what they will or will not eat. But not anything I would call "food", sorry.

Maybe I misunderstand your question here.
Hi Wendyjane

Do you mean another portion of meat protein rather than any type of protein? If so then the nuts idea is good. I love nuts and eat many sorts, adding them to cooked meals such as curry, stir fry and salads. Almond meal/flour is yummy in cooking, but not especially low calorie but is low carb. Could you make some slices or cake for snacks from this? There are nice nut recipes on the forum.

Best wishes for you both, :smile:
Yes, sorry to be confusing, @Michael H, I did mean another sort of protein, or something higher in oil that doesn't just taste like fat. Avocados are a good one. I should serve more avocados.
@Judio, I'll look for the almond meal recipes. I love marzipan! Hmm, suppose the sugar content rules that particular food out...
Thanks!
I don't think it's possible, long term, to follow a low carb diet if you're set and determined on finding the the sensation of fat disgusting no matter what.

Maybe some kind of gradual adjustment, working on learning to change preferences would be more more advisable. Try a tiny amount, then some more, learn to like what you didn't like before. Most of us change preferences as years go by, otherwise we all would live on baby food and candy through adult life.
Good fats are well, good for you :) I have recently been low carbing it and I find the things that keep me full are cottage cheese, beans and avocado :)
Veggies with hummus also?
Lil :heart:
If you can't stand the thought of organic coconut cold pressed oil in a shot of coffee(yum) why not consider making Thai curry using coconut cream

Agree with Michael you can add a bit more fat slowly eg fry some mushrooms in butter home made

A lovely quality yoghurt Mediterranean style is another way to have some good fat

Though I understand my OH is as lean as a bean he also is very efficient at not eating fat so it is a challenge to loosen up with fats as we have been so geared to cut it all out. But it is the carbs and fat combo isn't it where as so protein with a good fat and salad or vegs are ok
Hmmm...boiled eggs. Nuts, sunflower seeds and maybe some nut butters. They tend to be pretty high calorie, though. What about maybe 100 cal smart popcorn or maybe pork rinds? If I'm understanding the question right you are looking for low carb snacks, right? Sweet stuff could be sugar free Jello or I sometimes like cheesecake filling. It is whipped cream with cream cheese and splenda or your choice of sweetener. Most of these are lowish carb things that I like, but tend to be high calorie and if I eat them frequently I stall or might even gain. They aren't really low fat though. For something to be both lowish carb and low fat it pretty much has to be a green veggie, non-starchy veg, or maybe berries.
For my husband, snacks don't have to be low-calorie. I'm going to start offering him more nuts, seeds, yogurt. Those are all things he really likes.

Popcorn is a great snack - thanks for reminding me about it, @43tweaker. Not sure it's low carb, but it's certainly low calorie (we don't butter it).
The 100 calorie bags I have are Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop butter flavor. They say 94% fat free on the label. Serving size is one whole bag with 100 cal, 2g fat unpopped; but says .5g popped. 24 carbs makes it not really low carb but somewhat moderate. I could work it into a 100 carb weekday if I was really wanting something snacky, crunchy, salty. This box has been in the pantry a long time, though because I usually go for nuts instead. :)

When I used to do low to moderate carb all the time instead of ADF or 4:3 I would sometimes serve meat plus green veggie for myself add a starch for hubby and the kids. The trick was to keep some homemade potato skins in the freezer for myself. It is basically 1/3 to 1/4 of a potato with maybe a teaspoon of cheese and bacon bits. Cuts both calories and carbs, but gives me enough of a starch that I'm not tempted by the starch on the rest of the family's plate.
43tweaker wrote: The 100 calorie bags I have are Orville Redenbacher Smart Pop butter flavor. They say 94% fat free on the label. Serving size is one whole bag with 100 cal, 2g fat unpopped; but says .5g popped. 24 carbs makes it not really low carb but somewhat moderate. I could work it into a 100 carb weekday if I was really wanting something snacky, crunchy, salty. This box has been in the pantry a long time, though because I usually go for nuts instead. :)

When I used to do low to moderate carb all the time instead of ADF or 4:3 I would sometimes serve meat plus green veggie for myself add a starch for hubby and the kids. The trick was to keep some homemade potato skins in the freezer for myself. It is basically 1/3 to 1/4 of a potato with maybe a teaspoon of cheese and bacon bits. Cuts both calories and carbs, but gives me enough of a starch that I'm not tempted by the starch on the rest of the family's plate.

So do you figure the other 1.5 g of fat stay on the bag lining? Or at least that's their claim?

Thanks for the potato skin idea. I'll definitely do that one.
Yep. I think that's their story and they're sticking to it. ;)
Oh, and I should add the only reason this potato skin trick doesn't work for me anymore....it's because my oldest two are teenagers and they find my potato skins in the freezer and eat them for a snack! Darn kids. LOL
43tweaker wrote: Oh, and I should add the only reason this potato skin trick doesn't work for me anymore....it's because my oldest two are teenagers and they find my potato skins in the freezer and eat them for a snack! Darn kids. LOL

:lol: Teenagers! :lol:
Now if they had left something in the freezer for themselves, and then you ate it - why there'd be hell to pay. RIght?
Ha! You know it! They would be all attitude and...like Oh EM GEE who ate MY stuff?! 16yo dd writes her name on everything, too. I get a little steamed when I find her name on my groceries. :curse: That. I. Paid. For. With. My. Money. Yep. Teenagers. Can't live with em and can't kill em.
19 posts Page 1 of 2